Exclamation 95 SL 650 -- I'm about to use the rope trick to hang myself -- HELP

My ski ran great for hours all weekend until idling back to dock. At low rpms there was a sudden brief shudder and then almost no propulsion (but no high revs either). Driveshaft appeared to me to have moved laterally just a bit but I'm not certain. Impeller is moving free. Following the advice here I removed the pump with the intention of removing and inspecting the driveshaft, impeller, wear ring and bearings. The driveshaft came loose from the impeller fine, but at the motor the thing won't give. I followed the rope procedure to remove the PTO coupler from the crank but still can't separate the shaft from the coupler to view the engine side splines. What did I accomplish by removing the coupler at the engine? Is there a way to remove the shaft with the PTO coupler in order to get it to a bench? If I had sufficient forward clearance I could pull it forward but can't because the engine is in the way. To the rear the coupler itself is too big to pass. Can't go backwards or forward. Also, I know there's two kinds of shafts with one being bonded rubber But honestly I'm not certain which one this is should I need to replace it. Here's a photo showing where I'm stuck. Thanks to all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	366742

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sometimes the driveshaft can be really stuck in the splined coupler.

If you must get the driveshaft out then you may need to lift the engine so you can slide the driveshaft forward. Then take it to a machine shop or similar where they have the tools and skills for extracting the driveshaft from the coupler.

Have you checked the jet pump yet? If the jet pump is the problem cause you may be able to just reinstall the coupler on the engine and leave it stuck on the driveshaft.

Thanks for the feedback K. Like everyone else here, I appreciate the considerable information you have posted and its saved me more than once. To your point, I have the jet pump off now. There was nothing immediately evident in terms of binding or clearance and I could turn the shaft by hand without issue. However, I did notice the stator had two of five vanes with 1/2 inch portion broken out of each respectively. I've not replaced the bearings or seals in the pump (in the ten years I've had it) and previously have never before had the stator off to see it, but they don't appear to be a source of any lateral movement with the shaft. With the nose off the stator I believe there's some water intrusion getting past the seal at the first bearing race. Hence the milky-white goo. Those are problems but I don't think are the cause accounting for the lack of propulsion. I've got pics below if you have any opinion to share.

Because Bluefish is (relatively) close-by here in Ohio and is always quick to lend his knowledge and talent, I hit him with a PM. He theorized there might have been something sucked in like weeds or a plastic bag. I think that's a sound theory but didn't see anything like that which would account for the lack of propulsion now or at the time.

I'll give the other forum members here a chance to point me in the right direction. but may just do the pump rebuild and throw it back together as you suggest to see what it does. However, in two weeks I'll be back in 2-4 foot waves in Lake Erie, not the ideal time to experiment with a jet ski with no go. Should the stator be replaced?

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	366751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	366752
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	366750  

+1
    If you are still dealing with the issue of the driveshaft not wanting to come out of the coupler, I would screw the coupler back onto the crankshaft, and then yank like hell on the driveshaft. There is no mystery to the part of the driveshaft you can not see in the coupler, there is just a large o-ring in there, as well as a small rubber bumper. The o-ring takes a beating, and can deform to the point of giving you the impression that the driveshaft is stuck. Unless there is some wear/welding action between the driveshaft and coupler splines, you just need to yank like hell on the driveshaft. Be prepared to replace that o-ring, and possibly the rubber bumper and coupler seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtobud View Post
    My ski ran great for hours all weekend until idling back to dock. At low rpms there was a sudden brief shudder and then almost no propulsion (but no high revs either). Driveshaft appeared to me to have moved laterally just a bit but I'm not certain. Impeller is moving free. Following the advice here I removed the pump with the intention of removing and inspecting the driveshaft, impeller, wear ring and bearings. The driveshaft came loose from the impeller fine, but at the motor the thing won't give. I followed the rope procedure to remove the PTO coupler from the crank but still can't separate the shaft from the coupler to view the engine side splines. What did I accomplish by removing the coupler at the engine? Is there a way to remove the shaft with the PTO coupler in order to get it to a bench? If I had sufficient forward clearance I could pull it forward but can't because the engine is in the way. To the rear the coupler itself is too big to pass. Can't go backwards or forward. Also, I know there's two kinds of shafts with one being bonded rubber But honestly I'm not certain which one this is should I need to replace it. Here's a photo showing where I'm stuck. Thanks to all.

Name:	Polaris.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	366742

+1
    You have the solid, not rubber bonded, coupler. I agree with Onedollar. Screw the coupler back on and yank like hell on the drive shaft. Spray some WD or PB on the splines to help get that o ring slippery. I have wrapped a strap or similar around the shaft to get a better grip on it.....

Thread Information