Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Need some persuading... took a 300X for a ride tonight.

So I've worked out a deal to get a 310R but while I'm waiting, the dealer gave me a 2013 300X to take out for a spin.

The only thing I can compare it to is my old Ultra 150. I'd say the 300 pulled perhaps a bit harder (hard to tell seat of your pants) than my 150 and was definitely slower on top end.

So I took it out and my worst fear was realized.... you can't flick this ski at all. Sharp turns are decent (would be even harder with sponsons) but I couldn't spin the ski out nor stand on one side and flip that puppy around.

Though the lake I ride on is pretty damn choppy and I think the 310 would kick ass going through that chop, I'm afraid that I'm losing the fun factor.

Any suggestions or comments on the 310R compared to a 2013 300X?

I really want the 310 but I love to play too much.

Thanks,

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush View Post
    2013 300X to take out for a spin. The only thing I can compare it to is my old Ultra 150. I'd say the 300 pulled perhaps a bit harder (hard to tell seat of your pants) than my 150 and was definitely slower on top end.
    I really find this hard to believe.

A 100% "Bone-Stock" Ultra-300x will run 67.5 MPH on GPS. As me how I know - Reference:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1926325

My Ultra-150 100% "Bone-Stock" would do ~ 65 MPH.

With 500 dollars in mods - an Ultra-300x can do 74+ MPH. Again, ask me how I know

The Ultra-150 certainly does not stand a chance in a "hole-shot" against a 300x.
    ----------------
    . you can't flick this ski at all. Sharp turns are decent (would be even harder with sponsons) but I couldn't spin the ski out nor stand on one side and flip that puppy around.I am afraid I'm losing the fun factor.
    It sounds to me like you need another Ultra-150 with stock ride plate and stock sponsons - because with a Shreadmaster Plate + BH Sponsons, my neighbor tried to "flik" as you so state my Ultra-150 and he almost broke his back because it CUT so hard he almost got "pitched".

The Ultra-300 / 310 are not designed to be "flicked" around.

Sounds to me like maybe you would be better suited with a stand-up?

Good Luck !!!

+1
    With a set of carbs, a $2.00 resistor to fool the speed limiter, shimming and tuning the impeller and a set of heads, I was able to pull 72.6mph consistently on my Ultra. Many years ago I started a gathering called JetFest. After a couple of years, they started calling it Covefest because all the Ultras would gather to do radar runs.

Out of the hole, it would launch so hard, it would literally leap out of the water. At the time I was using Worx sponsons and you could whip that ski around all over the place. And yes, you're right, if you turned the sponsons down, it would make it too aggressive. I've been pitched many times.

As far as hole shot, it's hard to tell. It's been a lot of years so maybe in my mind, I thought the Ultra pulled harder…lol.

Nonetheless, I guess I'm going to have to go with more of a playtoy than a speed boat. I love speed but unless I get another Ultra, I don't see me twisting the shit out of it.

I <gasp> may look at a RXP and see if it's a happy medium.

Thanks,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    2013 300X to take out for a spin. The only thing I can compare it to is my old Ultra 150. I'd say the 300 pulled perhaps a bit harder (hard to tell seat of your pants) than my 150 and was definitely slower on top end.

A 100% "Bone-Stock" Ultra-300x will run 67.5 MPH on GPS. As me how I know - Reference:

With 500 dollars in mods - an Ultra-300x can do 74+ MPH. Again, ask me how I know

The Ultra-150 certainly does not stand a chance in a "hole-shot" against a 300x.
    ----------------
    . you can't flick this ski at all. Sharp turns are decent (would be even harder with sponsons) but I couldn't spin the ski out nor stand on one side and flip that puppy around.I am afraid I'm losing the fun factor.
    It sounds to me like you need another Ultra-150 with stock ride plate and stock sponsons - because with a Shreadmaster Plate + BH Sponsons, my neighbor tried to "flik" as you so state my Ultra-150 and he almost broke his back because it CUT so hard he almost got "pitched".

Good Luck !!!

+1
    Not only do I like to play on the lake but can't beat jumping waves either...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1147.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	366760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	366761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	366762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1145.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	366763

I think you should ditch the 300, fast and powerful yes but playful? Fun factor? I ride the monsters here and there. But when i get back on my ultra, all i can think is what a perfect all around ski. You wont be doing that on a 300.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    I think you should ditch the 300, fast and powerful yes but playful? Fun factor? I ride the monsters here and there. But when i get back on my ultra, all i can think is what a perfect all around ski. You wont be doing that on a 300.
    Yeah not the most playful..
    You can always catch some air with the 300/310 but crashing waves and big boat rollers and a wet ride is lot of fun but it's no WaveBlaster..lol

seen some crazy Aussies on the ultra 300 doing Bronco Twists off the waves in a few vids..

+1
    I <gasp> may look at a RXP and see if it's a happy medium.
    You might consider giving the Yamaha FX SVHO a test ride. It's extremely nimble for it's size, has an intense hole shot, and modding it to run mid 70's is pretty easy. I had a 310X all lined up and the dealer sold it out from under me as I was walking in the door so it pissed me off enough to try the Yamaha. I'm glad I did. I was worried when I got it as I was moving up from a tinesy little, mega flickable SeaDoo 2-stroke to this beast that I'd lose that playful throw around, but I can really throw this SVHO around. I wouldn't go as far as to say I can flick it around, but it'll slide out and flip around pretty good. It's certainly not as big water friendly as the 300/310, but it does pretty good in a moderate chop. Not sure about off the line vs Kawasaki, but it'll take an RXP. IMHO no matter which brand you go with, you're gonna like some stuff and not like some stuff. You gotta try them all. Good Luck!

+1
    I appreciate ya'll response's. I really had my heart set on the 310R but at the end of the day, I want my cake and eat it too.

A buddy of mine (I'm pretty sure he's on this forum) has the record for the Hydro Drags in the limited class at 97mph. He's been pushing me to get a Yamaha. In fact, he's got a 2009 that he's selling that runs 85 all day long on pump gas.

I might look into that if it's somewhat flickable.

Thanks for everyone's help...

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post

----------------

Good Luck !!!

Not sure why it's so hard to believe. The ultra 310 has 310 HP and weighs almost 1100 pounds. The Ultra 150 weighs 600'ish pounds and has 150 HP.

My Ultra 150 with 500 dollars in mods ran 72.6, your Ultra with 500 dollars in mods ran 74. Based on HP to weight ratio, I'd guess that they probably pull the same and are pretty close on top end.

Nonetheless, I love Kawasaki and the Ultra310 but since I want to play, I'm taking a RPX-X out for a test ride today... we'll see what happens.

Mark

+1
    If you want a ski that has power, can ride chop well, and you can "flick" around, you want a FX SVHO (period, hands down). I've ridden the FZ SVHO, the FX SVHO, and the 310X. The only one that had all the creature comforts of cruise, like power of the 310X, the ability of chop riding like the 310X, and able to turn on a dime (flick) was the 2015 FX SVHO. Yes, I can make the ass end of the FX drift across the water in a very sharp turn.

I own a 310X, and love the holeshot/comfort across the chop. However, if I had to do it all again, I'd likely have a 2015 FX SVHO to complement my 2015 FZS. I'd add a SCOM, Ribbon delete, TJ free exhaust mod, and Solas 13/20 prop depitched to 13/18 and call it a day. The 310X will not be leaving you in the chop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information