Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Just breaks your heart the two boys lost at sea in Fla...

We all heard the news and hoping that there out there floating around and will be found soon..

Dont know the boys personally but feel like there my own and I'm just devastated ...

Any thoughts from you guys especially from Fla. Can they survive in the warm water for long?

+1
    Really sad. This is why I feel a personal epirb should be mandatory for off shore boating. I have one and it cost only
    $300. A small amount compared to what most spend on there boats/watercraft.

Edit: The more I think about it the more pissed off I get. These parents need to be charged with something. NO GPS/EPIRB? NOTHING? Not to mention they were to young to drive so why not take a boat out on the OCEAN!? The mistakes that allowed this could have been minimized but were just overlooked. Technology could have allowed a datalog of there position every second after leaving the dock and would have cost under 100 dollars.
    Last edited by hill160881; 07-28-2015 at 09:31 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    We all heard the news and hoping that there out there floating around and will be found soon..

Dont know the boys personally but feel like there my own and I'm just devastated ...

Any thoughts from you guys especially from Fla. Can they survive in the warm water for long?
    Yes they can survive if they have fresh water; the problem is the Gulf Stream moves super fast and that's why they are now searching as far north as Georgia. Their 19 ft. boat was found over 60 miles off shore.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ough/30775513/

+1
    Other boaters saw them going out. One was in 30+ boat and it was so rough coming in that some of the passengers were crying trying to come in the inlet. The captain said what are those crazy kids doing. They had bragged that they were going to the islands.The parents was quoted as saying they were not allowed to go out the inlet. Well 14yr old boys don't make good decisions. The parents are too blame for what happened here. Did they have their heads buried in the sand. They paid the ultimate price by losing their sons. I feel bad for the family and friends. Been going out in the area where they went since 81 and the sea is a cruel place. It was very stormy and rough, over 8' seas. Wow. God bless them!

just my thoughts...tragic as it is...i dont buy the.... they are very experienced salty dogs comment at all...THEY ARE 14.....have no business operating a boat unsupervised by an adult...just flat out stupid on the parents part...as parents how many of us would give our 14 year olds the car keys and let them drive unsupervised....dont get me wrong as i really feel for the parents but daaaaammmnnn...

I did dumber things than this when I was 14-21.

You take the risk, sometimes you lose. If they would have made it, they'd be talking about it for the rest of their lives. It's the price of living dangerously. No different than rock climbers, divers, downhill mountain bikes, ultralight hikers, the guy in my avatar, or skydivers.

Easy for kids to plan on stealing Dads boat and going to the Bahamas for the weekend and get home before anyone's parents even know that they aren't where they're supposed to be. Just kids being kids. I wouldn't blame the parents this time. Kids made their own choice. Seems like a normal thing to me, kids do these things all the time.

I feel bad for them, but can't help but take a step back and smile, at least they went for it. It's life, live it.

here is the most current up to date thread on the net.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...ea-reward.html

+1
    oldschool69; you need to understand. Here in South Florida, these "kids" have grown up entirely around the water. They have fished and operated a boat more than many of you here. On each weekend you can see young kids operating small boats like these around sand-bars and intracostal waters. In these affluent parts (Palm Beach, North Palm Beach & especially Jupiter), its no different seeing several "teens" behind a nice $18K Boston Whaler then kids in a city park with their skate-boards. It's a lifestyle here and living on or near the water is what kids do here.

Buliwyf; You are spot-on. Kids in this age group are more likely to become paralyzed (or die) from a skate board accident then getting lost at sea. Their parents set rules (do not go out of inlet) and these boys made a huge mistake for not respecting mother nature.

Back story - For the past week or two, we have had really glassy ocean. So flat that the waves barely break on shore. It's what I call "Lake Atlantic" So you can bet these boys saw an opportunity. Unfortunately, being a teenager you are also stubborn and they decided to make the "crossing." It was very dumb of them to leave inlet when a storm rolled in dramatically changing the ocean conditions.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Buliwyf View Post
    I did dumber things than this when I was 14-21.

You take the risk, sometimes you lose. If they would have made it, they'd be talking about it for the rest of their lives. It's the price of living dangerously. No different than rock climbers, divers, downhill mountain bikes, ultralight hikers, the guy in my avatar, or skydivers.

Easy for kids to plan on stealing Dads boat and going to the Bahamas for the weekend and get home before anyone's parents even know that they aren't where they're supposed to be. Just kids being kids. I wouldn't blame the parents this time. Kids made their own choice. Seems like a normal thing to me, kids do these things all the time.

I feel bad for them, but can't help but take a step back and smile, at least they went for it. It's life, live it.

Exactly nailed it.

If I was just a little less lucky I would not be here for sure with all the stupid stuff I have done. Across four states hunting, fishing and off roading at this age compleetly unsupervised....... My dad had no idea,,,,,, and did not want one either thank god

+1
    Pretty big friggin difference between kids hunting, fishing, off-roading or running around the ICW or near shore in a boat unsupervised to taking a open-transom boat of that size miles offshore into the gulfstream. People keep saying how experienced they are, but not many experienced boaters would take that risk. I sure wouldn't! I grew up with a lot of freedom, but giving kids that much freedom means they have to prove themselves responsible enough to handle it. Whether the parents didn't allow them out past the inlet or not, something tells me this wasn't the first time they did it if they were brave(or dumb) enough to head into open ocean in that weather.

These are kids from my home town, so lots of people here are very upset about it. A few people in my neighborhood have been following the scanner, & someone recently posted something about them being found. Hoping for the best. There was something similar on the scanner last night about them being spotted off Tybee Island in GA, but so far no new updates.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information