1999 Waverunner XL 1200 Carb Tuning

I'm looking into buying a 1999 Waverunner Xl 1200 Limited. The guy that owns it recently had the carbs rebuilt but has not had a chance to get it on the water to ensure the carbs are tuned properly. I've tuned carbs on a seadoo xp before so I'm familiar with the process. I'm wondering how much is involved with tuning the carbs on the waverunner? This one has three carbs and it looks like I may have to take the exhaust off to get to them. I have searched for a service manual for the waverunner to see what I'm getting into if I buy this ski and haven't been able to find one. Anybody tune the carbs on this kind of waverunner before?
    Last edited by Jester2886; 07-27-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2886 View Post
    I'm looking into buying a 1999 Waverunner Xl 1200 Limited. The guy that owns it recently had the carbs rebuilt but has not had a chance to get it on the water to ensure the carbs are tuned properly. I've tuned carbs on a seadoo xp before so I'm familiar with the process. I'm wondering how much is involved with tuning the carbs on the waverunner? This one has three carbs and it looks like I may have to take the exhaust off to get to them. I have searched for a service manual for the waverunner to see what I'm getting into if I buy this ski and haven't been able to find one. Anybody tune the carbs on this kind of waverunner before?
    With the exhaust in the way, it's a major PIA to tune the carbs. Were they rebuilt to stock settings, or aftermarket flame arrestor and new jetting specs.

Often times, the settings are close enough for Government work and you can just ride. You'll need a Sea Trial to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by GpaaH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester2886 View Post
    With the exhaust in the way, it's a major PIA to tune the carbs. Were they rebuilt to stock settings, or aftermarket flame arrestor and new jetting specs.

Often times, the settings are close enough for Government work and you can just ride. You'll need a Sea Trial to verify.

he said it was rebuilt by a professional dealer so I would assume they were adjusted properly. It just hasn't been on the water to verify yet. I'm just concerned about having to take the exhaust off if they aren't adjusted right. I'm hoping you're right and they're adjusted close enough to get by.

Will he let you water test it? How many hours? How much?

Thread Information