Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Polaris SL 650 Help Me Please!!

Hello
    I have a 92 SL 650 that had a new motor installed 4 summers ago it has never been right. I should have crushed it into to pieces then. Now its personal. I have had 2 different carb racks on it both rebuilt by 3 different carb guys. This July put it in the lake and same problem its getting way to much gas. Pulled it out and did a compression check all 3 are 115 lbs. Pulled the carbs had a guy put new Mikuni kits in the and new 2.0 needle and seats. I put new reed valves in and pulled the exhaust to double check the cylinders. Replaced most the fuel lines and filter also changed the fuel pump to the 3 line version. Went to start it and the carbs wouldn't take fuel. All lines are full pulled the lines turned it over pump is pumping fuel hooked them all up again poured gas down the carbs started up ran till the gas was gone. Pulled the carbs off and checked to make sure that by moving the needle and seat by hand and blowing in the fuel line (never used fuel line) that air would pass through. It did on all three. Put the carbs back on and it pulled fuel! My luck is changing!! It started up wow. Hooked the water up started it again checking to make sure it was running on all 3 by removing the spark plug caps and checking them 1 at a time. Put it in the lake and it started right up. Warmed it up for a few minutes gave it some gas and same thing. Its running way to rich. Turned the fuel selector off and in 10 seconds its going 45 and sounds great. Turn the gas on and its flooding out no power wont even get on plane. Turn the gas off and 10 seconds it takes off like a bat out of . Road it for 20 minutes trying different thing but the only way it would lean out enough to run was turning the fuel off. I have $2500.00 in a $250.00 pwc and would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

+1
    It sounds like your carbs aren't properly tuned. I haven't personally owned or worked on the blue Fuji motors but I have heard and read many things about them.

First I gotta know what your oil system is like. Are you running premix if so what ratio or are you running oil injection still?

First of all I would start by starting the ski on the trailer let it run for like 15 seconds then shut it down. Pull the spark plugs and check them, if they are all black and wet then you are running way too rich. And it is indeed running rich rather than lean. When you rebuilt all the fuel lines you must make sure they go back in the right place this has happened to me where I got the main carb lines switched and it drove me mad. Double check all the lines using a shop manual, go visit k447's page to download them.

Also make sure you fuel selector valve is in the right spot

start by doing this and see what happens

Hey thanks for the reply
    I'm running the stock oil system (oil injected)
    In the past plugs are wet. Haven't looked this time got mad and put it on the lift.
    I did them 1 at a time so I wouldn't make a mistake but that does not mean that they were in the wrong place to begin with. I will double check it against the other one I have that runs great.
    Tried running it on reserve and 1/4 on and 1/2 on didn't make a difference.
    Thanks again for the ideas!

+1
    I would also pull the carbs off and make sure the high and low speed screws are properly adjusted the person who did your carbs could have neglected to do this, it's unlikel but anything is possible. Also make sure your oil injection line that connects from the actual pump itself to the carb rack isn't broken or not attached. Polaris designed it so if that cable snaps or isn't attached the pump will be putting out max oil which could be flooding your motor, again it's unlikely but it's another little thing to check.

its usually the little things that cause the most headaches

+1
    How exactly do you know it is running rich? If you punch the throttle and it immediately dies this is an indication of a lean issue. If it bogs chugs along, wont really go, and eventually dies it is a rich issue.

Have you inspected your throttle butterflies to make sure they are properly sync'd? They all need to open the same amount at the same time. Sometimes overlooked by rebuilders.

Have you checked the needle settings as suggested? If they carbs were properly rebuilt, the high and low speed needles would have been removed. A good shop would have reinstalled them exactly as they were when removed. An inexperienced shop may have just installed them all the way closed.

IF all of this checks out, you may want to check your tank venting. If the ski runs fine then slowly has trouble running, a negative pressure within the tank can build and prevent fuel from flowing. You can try running with the gas cap off, but only on the trailer as it would surely quickly fill with water due to its location....

Thanks for the reply
    When you hit the throttle it does not die, it never dies it is really under powered like its running on 2 cylinders. I assume its rich because every time I have checked the plugs they are always wet. I guess and trust me I could be way off but why do you think when the gas is switched to off it preforms normal (speed and power) and when you turn the gas back on it starts running on 1 or 2 cylinders? seams to idle fine. This is the test I did to try and figure out if it was rich or lean. Warmed it up for a few minutes, slowly opened the throttle and it had no power. Its like its not hitting on all cylinders you can even here a miss like it wants to go. So I pulled the choke to see if its starving for gas and immediately got worse so I turned the fuel selector to off and 5 to 10 seconds later it takes off and runs great. Turn the fuel back on and in 5 to 10 seconds its back to no power and not running on all 3 and has the miss. I tried running the throttle in different positions 1/2 throttle it would almost catch and run. Checked the butterflies it did have a bent one so it was replaced. We set the needles at what the manual stated for the 92 sl 650. And I will go back and double check the fuel lines and venting. Thanks a lot for taking time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

+1
    Remove the fuel select switch for testing purposes and note how it behaves.

What does your piston wash look like? You should open up the carbs and verify you have the correct jetting. Where did the carbs come from? You said you have two different racks? The 650/750/780 all take different jetting. A 780 setup would flood the motor out for sure....

Thanks again.
    I will pull the carbs and go through them myself and check it out. I will update the post when I find something.

+1
    May I add 2 more to your check list?
    - Regulator arm height
    - Fuel Return line free and clear?

Check the pop off pressures on each carb. May have to soft springs installed which would cause excessive fuel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information