Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Yamaha Error Code 159

First I'd like to thank you guys for all the great info here-very helpful in selecting my new 2015 VXR. This code will pertain to the new RIDE system skis. If a tie down strap is run horizontally between the stern eyes, it will block the reverse gate, and throw this code after a start/shutoff/start cycle. Not sure, but the system probably cycles the gate as a pre-run check. Shut off the ignition, pull the lanyard off for good measure, wait 30 seconds, re-start, and the warning should be cleared. The only info I could locate on a 159 code was a Yamaha diagnostic manual 2.0 (I believe 2.2 is current), which gave a range of 15X codes citing "remote control unit comm." Found no help in the manual. Finally called Yamaha customer relations and after 10 minutes on the phone had the answer. Hopefully this may save someone some time.

I did this exact thing. Did the Yamaha rep say that it could damage the reverse system by having this happen?

+1
    No damage that I can detect. The system must reverse the gate if it hits an obstruction. ~8 hours on the ski since it threw the 159 code with no issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, what type of top speed do you see on your ski? Also, on my ski the speedo is not accurate with the trim all the way up or all the way down. In the middle ranges it works fine. Have you noticed anything like that with yours?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jserr68594 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, what type of top speed do you see on your ski? Also, on my ski the speedo is not accurate with the trim all the way up or all the way down. In the middle ranges it works fine. Have you noticed anything like that with yours?
    With 12.5 hrs on the ski, I'm seeing the factory speedo hit 60mph. I have noticed it being way off occasionally. I didn't associate that with trim setting, but that could be the case. I have also had it switch to kph, without intentionally holding the kill button down for the 4 seconds that swap should take on shut down. The factory speedos are known for being inaccurate, but usually on the high side. I have heard that these engines don't yield top speed until fully broken in (50 hrs?). I am getting 7600 rpm (factory limit), which you would think should yield the USCG 66 mph speed limit our friends in the government prescribe. I'll have a GPS on board next trip, which will give accurate speed. In any case, I'm OK with the 66 mph limited speed, as I'm more concerned with acceleration than top speed.

Thanks for the info. I am only seeing 61-62 mph gps, but I only have 4 hours on the ski as well. It would be nice to keep in touch with you to compare and discuss issues. So far, you are the only other 2015 VXR owner I have spoke with. I cannot pm due to a low post count, but my email is jserr68594@aol.com

Thanks again!

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jserr68594 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am only seeing 61-62 mph gps, but I only have 4 hours on the ski as well. It would be nice to keep in touch with you to compare and discuss issues. So far, you are the only other 2015 VXR owner I have spoke with. I cannot pm due to a low post count, but my email is jserr68594@aol.com

Thanks again!
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll shoot you an email.

+1
    Took the ski out last Sunday with the Wife & GPS. 12.5+ hours on it. Top speed with ~360lbs. of passegers, full tank, some luggage & less than ideal water was 60.2 mph. I wouldn't be surprised if it would now hit ~66 mph with just me (205 lbs) and a half tank or less on flat water. Running strong. Off to Austin next weekend to ride

Thanks for the update!

Talking I did the same thing to my Yamaha 2016 VX Deluxe and it worked!!

Quote Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
    First I'd like to thank you guys for all the great info here-very helpful in selecting my new 2015 VXR. This code will pertain to the new RIDE system skis. If a tie down strap is run horizontally between the stern eyes, it will block the reverse gate, and throw this code after a start/shutoff/start cycle. Not sure, but the system probably cycles the gate as a pre-run check. Shut off the ignition, pull the lanyard off for good measure, wait 30 seconds, re-start, and the warning should be cleared. The only info I could locate on a 159 code was a Yamaha diagnostic manual 2.0 (I believe 2.2 is current), which gave a range of 15X codes citing "remote control unit comm." Found no help in the manual. Finally called Yamaha customer relations and after 10 minutes on the phone had the answer. Hopefully this may save someone some time.
    Thank you for the suggestion! I had just bought my brand new Yamaha 2016 VX Deluxe! And I got this problem, when I read it I thought I'd try it out. And it works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information