Thread: homemade

homemade

Anyone have any ideas on a homemade crank locking tool? Here it is Sunday and I surprisingly ended up with time today and tomorrow to pull my head (03, 185 HP) and possibly the motor.
    Unfortunately all the shops are closed on sun/Mon.

So anyhow, proven ideas and possibly pics are wanted if its even possible to make one in a regular home garage without a lathe.

+1
    3/8 drill bit fits perfect.

Awesome! I've got like 3 of those, but to my understanding the 3/8 drill bit, or metal dowel rod is to be used for the cam locking tool. Not the crank locking tool. I believe the crank is threaded (just from what i've seen in YouTube videos).

+1
    When you lock the cam & crank down there's tension on the crank/cam pins so they won't move unless you move the crank a hair and have the motor upside down or something. Otherwise the crank "bit" will stay put when the motor is in the upright position. I've done this numerous times till I got the lock tool, now I just grab whichever is closest to me at the time, lol.

BTW, the cam bit would be 5/16.

Alright cool deal! So turn to 3rd cylinder to TDC, lock cam with 5/16 bit, and crank with the 3/8 bit. Any ideas on keeping the crank "bit" in while transporting motor from ski to bench? This will be the first motor that I pull from a PWC. But have dome jeep/hemi motor swaps and very mechanically inclined and not afraid to ask questions if unsure. Low compression after having a bead battery, towing it too fast put water in cylinder, hydrolocked it. Rings are now stuck and low compression. Compression test revieled #[email protected], #[email protected], #[email protected] After a leakdown test it was confirmed rings because all the air was coming out the oil dip sticktube and oil fill spout. Leakdown was performed at tdc on All cylinders. I'm going to take a super close look at the head to inspect and
    Maybe replace do a head rebuild.

I'm hoping that I can do this all without machining block and decking head. Planning to just hone. One day I may want to bump from 185 HP to 215 HP. What pistons are recomened for this? Ski has 119 hours BTW.

+1
    It will stay put as I said. Drop in the cam pin 1st then the crank pin, give the crank a little wiggle and the crank pin will drop in place, then a slight movement of the crank will bind against the pins and keep them in their place. Use CP or WSM pistons with .0035 clearance. New OEM pistons will cost you several hundred more.

Thread Information