+1

No start issue & a potential money saving technique. 2003 Polaris Virage I

Well its me again. I recently got two more Virage I, neither one will run.
    One came from SC and the other from TN.

When i look at the one in SC it ran for a few moments on one cylinder, then would not give me any spark. Digital wrench hooks up and communicates with everything, compression tests good, stator is good and motor rotation feels good.

I look at the one in TN and it never would start for me, sputter and cough like it wanted to start but nothing, motor rotation is not smooth and compression is imbalanced, Digital wrench does not want to connect and stay connected. K447 and i discussed this one in private message and determined the EMM was rebooting internally.

Upon getting all this crap home i started looking into the TN ski first, I took the emm from the SC ski and swapped it into the TN ski. NO SPARK. Put the original EMM back and hooked up digital wrench. This TN ski is the one originally having the rebooting issue. I got Digital Wrench to stay stable for a few seconds and used the "replace EMM" option, for those unfamiliar, this pulls all the data from the EMM and allows you to re-program another EMM with the same data. I then re-swapped the emm from the SC ski and programmed it with the TN ski parameters. Performed all the static tests like fuel pump, injectors and ignition coil, checked the TPS range and temperature sensors. All tests went perfect, disconnected digital wrench and the ski started up the moment i touched the start/stop button. Water tested the ski, decent operation, little bit boggy.

I give you this back-story so you can understand my frustration for the later part.
    This part i would assume everything is functioning correctly. The wiring harness is good, rubber covered large capacitor, the injectors are obviously functioning, fuel pump is good, sensors are doing what they should, emm operates. BUT there is a metal on metal clapping coming from the front of the motor, sounds like main or rod bearings. Motor runs great, will start and stop, rev just fine but has that damn metal on metal clapping. So i left everything alone for a while and kept cranking the ski every few hours and then every day for a few days. No change, seems stable.
    EDIT: Today (7-26) I broke this motor down and found that the Mag cylinder is not receiving any oil, piston will need to be replaced, cylinder doctored up, lower motor feels good, nice and smooth.

I swap the known working computer to the SC ski and start to diagnose it, no spark, replace the ignition coil BC i found a small crack in the existing one. NO CHANGE. Swap the EMM back to the TN ski and it starts up with no problem.

I leave the SC ski for a while assuming there is a fuel delivery issue and I get to pulling the motor from the TN ski to narrow down the metal clapping noise.
    At this point i have a known good motor in my shed but it needs a new stator and flywheel. I figured the stator and flywheel is good from the TN ski but not the motor so I could combine the working stator and flywheel with the good motor and be back in business.
    I kept ALL the known working temperature sensors and crank sensor from the clapping engine and put them onto the other motor to prevent issues there.
    I did all this swapping and the motor is back in. Stator OHMs out good, motor rotation is smooth and sounds good, digital wrench finds no issues other than "alternator voltage too low" and this code only comes up if i crank it for more than 10 seconds (which i dont do often), Digital wrench static tests will fire the ignition coils, turn on the fuel pump, and fire the injectors.
    BUT IT WILL NOT RUN, If i spray a tiny amount of fogging oil into the throttle bodies the ski will start for a few seconds and die.
    If I crank it normally it sounds like it wants to start, 3-4 good firing rotations and then dies.

This one has me stumped, ill be troubleshooting today so please give me your input. Starting to get frustrated BC i know all this stuff is good.

ALSO, I am adding this information for reference, I also pulled the programming from the SC EMM (the one rebooting internally) and reprogrammed itself with its own data resulting in it resolving the internal reboot!!!! WOOT WOOT saved me 609 dollars and avoided having anyone in my EMM. I will try this option before ever sending off another EMM Not saying its guaranteed but this is the second EMM i have fixed using this method of reprogramming with the original data OR its possible this didnt really do anything and both my emms need to be serviced, however i would doubt this as the TN ski was running and water tested.

ALSO, I am adding this information for reference, The above repair worked for about 2 hours and the computer began re-booting again. Will send to DFI
    Last edited by NCJ0N; 08-01-2015 at 09:56 PM.

+1
    Update:
    I was able to get the SC ski going!!! Hooray! It needed a wiring harness, open black ground from the EMM to the coil pack bolt. Going to try to repair the old harness but I replaced the entire harness with another I had and it fired right up. Now i need to put the correct injectors on and I'm in business. Previous coil pack was also bad which I wonder if it somehow caused the open wire.
    Verified the fuel pressure regulator was in place and working, happy to find it was good and providing 23psi.
    Looks like the SC ski will be the first on the water.

Sent off the EMM that was restarting to DFI along with a set of injectors that need testing/matching.

Other EMM I re-flashed is running strong, going to lake test tomorrow after i finish zip tie-ing the replacement harness.

I need to find a battery bracket and the bolts, does anyone have one for sale??

+1
    Update,
    I got a battery bracket and bolts off ebay for a reasonable cost.

Got the TN ski going.
    The issue was a small piece of hardened loc-tite preventing the flywheel from seating 100% and it wobbled just outside the magnetic pickup. This was not really visible to the naked eye when i removed the crank sensor and watched the notches go around so i removed the cover and checked it with my dial indicator.
    removed the excess loc-tite and re-torqued the flywheel. Ski starts up on the first touch of the button.

Just waiting on my computer to come back from DFI.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    nice job,nice write up

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by NCJ0N View Post
    ... two more Virage I, neither one will run.
    One came from SC and the other from TN...

.... Digital wrench does not want to connect and stay connected. K447 and i discussed this one in private message and determined the EMM was rebooting internally.

.... pulled the programming from the SC EMM (the one rebooting internally) and reprogrammed itself with its own data resulting in it resolving the internal reboot!!!!

... The above repair worked for about 2 hours and the computer began re-booting again. Will send to DFI
    So it was mere coincidence that the EMM behaved for a couple of hours after using DW to reapply the injector data, correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NCJ0N View Post
    ... two more Virage I, neither one will run.
    One came from SC and the other from TN...

.... Digital wrench does not want to connect and stay connected. K447 and i discussed this one in private message and determined the EMM was rebooting internally.

.... pulled the programming from the SC EMM (the one rebooting internally) and reprogrammed itself with its own data resulting in it resolving the internal reboot!!!!

... The above repair worked for about 2 hours and the computer began re-booting again. Will send to DFI
    So it was mere coincidence that the EMM behaved for a couple of hours after using DW to reapply the injector data, correct?
    Im not convinced it was a mere coincidence. The ski ran great for over 2 hours and then the same issue, i re-flashed it once more and it changed from rebooting every 30 seconds to operational for about 45 minutes, then the same deal again. I have no idea what to call this or what to make of it but i just like the information to be out there.

Thread Information