+1

SLX 1200 misfire

Background: Pulled the motor due to a broken woodrow key. Put the motor back in and it wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Today: Took a look at the electronics box and forgot to hook up the solid blue cable. Hooked it up this morning and it flew! Then it died on the lake but would still turn over so I knew the new key hadn't sheared. Got it going and got back to shore. Turns out the battery was weak. Got that fixed and now it's misfiring. Swapped out both the ignition coil and cables for new ones (used, new to me). Still misfiring now, but I've verified all 3 spark plugs are firing, and that they are hooked up to the ignition coil in the right order.

Next thing I'm thinking is the CDI or spark plugs? Anything else it could be? Pulled one cylinder head just to make sure it wasn't burned. Should I check the others? Fires right up though without too much cranking.

+1
    No ideas? New spark plugs didn't fix it.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Was it the exact same coil you swapped in? Some have a different firing order. Compare the part numbers between the 2 coils you have used.

+1
    Exact same firing coil part number as the one I took out. Symptoms are exactly the same no matter which ignition coil is installed.

Have you checked to see if the battery is ok ?? Proper charge, charging correctly from the stator, no broken cable studs? Have you checked the plug wires to see they have no breaks or issues in them ? Only other thing it could be is the cdi.. What if it has dirt in a carb ?? Just running a few things down. My 1200 recently would shut off after running it for a little bit, come to find out it was the battery.. I know there isn't much info on the web on these skis so just trying to put something out there.. Good luck..
    Last edited by Fenderjack; 07-29-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    Background: Pulled the motor due to a broken woodrow key. Put the motor back in and it wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Today: Took a look at the electronics box and forgot to hook up the solid blue cable. Hooked it up this morning and it flew! Then it died on the lake but would still turn over so I knew the new key hadn't sheared. Got it going and got back to shore. Turns out the battery was weak. Got that fixed and now it's misfiring. Swapped out both the ignition coil and cables for new ones (used, new to me). Still misfiring now, but I've verified all 3 spark plugs are firing, and that they are hooked up to the ignition coil in the right order.

Next thing I'm thinking is the CDI or spark plugs? Anything else it could be? Pulled one cylinder head just to make sure it wasn't burned. Should I check the others? Fires right up though without too much cranking.
    Check cylinder compression. If you roasted a piston then it will not run properly.

You can check each cylinder one at a time for ability to run. Here is a video showing how to check individual cylinders. The video shows a blue Fuji motor with triple exhaust pipes but the diagnostic process is the same for the red domestic engines.

+1
    Just ran into a simular issue with dkvapires slx1200.. spark on all cyl... turned out to be a carb issue on mag.. sucked some junk though and now is running fine..I

+1
    I was gonna check cylinder compression. When I swapped the ignition coil I also swapped the spark plug wires. Thinking either roasted cylinder or carb then, will check compression and report back. The battery is a-ok, although both it and the battery in my other ski seem to be draining fairly quickly for some reason? Talking like a months time and the odyssey battery in my other ski was drained dead.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    I was gonna check cylinder compression. When I swapped the ignition coil I also swapped the spark plug wires. Thinking either roasted cylinder or carb then, will check compression and report back. The battery is a-ok, although both it and the battery in my other ski seem to be draining fairly quickly for some reason? Talking like a months time and the odyssey battery in my other ski was drained dead.
    If you have a battery drain issue then it should be investigated. Sometimes the cause is also affecting other things.

Thread Information