Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    +1

1961 Chris Craft conni 50' woody. A labor of passion, I think.

So about two years ago I had a chance to buy this old heap. I live on the water when time allows so something with three rooms and two bathrooms was good. It is all there and functional. But as with any 60 year old wooden boat she needed some love. So after purchase I pulled her out and did the bottom work. It was in good shape with only one rotten board.

It has a pair of 430 ford MEL block engines totaling 450hp. They both still run but one is on its last leg.

For a 60 year old wooden boat she has a dry pilge when not in use and that's rare for an old woody that has not had a 1/4 million work in the hull. I plan to EPDM epoxy rubber line the hull this winter as well as put another 5000 screws in her bottom. Then I can get fully insured.
    Here is a video of it just after I got it.
    https://www.facebook.com/tracy.p.hil...2007403735019/

Now on to the work. It's a slow process but it's steady. I have many more pics of the slow progress but my phone is dead so I will finish up in an hour.
    Last edited by hill160881; 07-25-2015 at 05:19 AM.

+1
    So the tile in the shower was commingle loose and was installed directly to plywood. So I epoxied the plywood and reset the tiles and sealed the shower.

Done

Then the cabinet doors were old plywood, so some real wood replacements, mahogany.

the curtains got to go!

Then some flooring in the bathroom, hallway, and guest room/laundry room.

Had to frame the hatches in hard wood, still need to finish those pieces.

Then in the guest bedroom I removed one of the two beds and installed a laundry area with cabinets. The two big doors hides a mini washer and dryer. They are bad ass. I am waiting on the doors to dry and then I will final fit them. I also have a piece of granite for the counter top just not glued down yet.

+1
    Since the master bedroom is still nice and the master bathroom and laundry room are now done I can move onto the outside. Tested a spot today with some paint striper and had really good easy results. So maybe in a few weeks I will be ready for paint.

Last edited by hill160881; 07-24-2015 at 09:16 PM.

+1
    Very nice! I could never take on such a project. I'm just not "handy."

+1
    Thanks! I am a civil engineer and not a bad carpenter. Until around 2009 I was a contractor but had to shift my profession due to lack of work and falling wages in that industry. So now I work on my boats money allowing. Between the skis and this thing I spend almost all my money on boating . Been that way for years now and maybe one day I will have her fixed up and can take her to Alaska or Mexico.

Most are intimidated by large wooden boats but it just wood. How hard is it to just take it apart and fix? No different than a house except you have to be more confident in your work so the boat does not sink along with your hard work and many tens of thousounds of dollars haha.

+1
    That is beautiful. Those old wooden boats have a elegance about them the the newer fiberglass ones will never have. Hope to one day be close enough to see it up close. You need a lift on the back for the new toy.

+1
    Bring her to CT save on freight.

+1
    Haha I would never make it, but it is a dream to do that trip someday in a boat.

It has a davit that can lift a ski right on the back deck. But it's not on the boat atm and the cover over the back deck is not yet ready to be removed and restored to original.

My goal is to have her painted and the exterior redone by next season. As well as replace the top mount AC unit with a central heat and air unit below decks. Also to replace the electrical pannel with a modern marine one. If I can get that done before next season I will be making good progress.

+1
    That sounds like a lot of work. It appears that you enjoy doing it and look to be doing a good job. Enjoy and keep the pictures coming. Are those diesel engines or gas?

+1
    Gas, I will replace them with chevy small block L series engines. Some will think a pair of small blocks is not enough. But consider it is powered by only 450hp currently. So a pair of 6.0 with 400hp each..... It gets on plain, about 20mph, now with a pair of 60+ year old 2100 hour engines that will only do 3500rpm. It will absoluy fly with two 400 hp engines.

Also the old engines weigh 720 lbs each without tranny over 1100 with so smaller, lighter, more powerfull will wake this old girl right up. The new engine tranny should weigh 700lbs. So a total savings of 800 lbs is great.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information