Angry I give up on this ski.. No spark so now the stator or cdi is fried...

Got the engine buttoned up today. New top end and the rest gone through. Took it out for a small ride after letting it idle and heat cycle at the house for about 40-45 mins.. About 5 mins into the ride bam, ski shuts off. No spark from the plugs.. It can only be the stator or cdi right ?? I hope it's the cdi, since the stator is a mother fuk to get to and have to pull the engine to do it.. I'm done with this thing.. I can't win for shit.. Rant over ...

+1

Very frustrating, but

Yes, very frustrating, but if you have already done all the rest of work, try not to let this get you too down. It can't only be the stator or CDI but very likely suspects. If you have the updated style ignition, I would suspect the stator before the CDI. If you do have the updated style ignition, the CDI has a small com port and it can be tested by itself out of the boat. If you do have to replace a stator, it isn't too bad, but it is easiest done with the engine out. On the bright side, you should know exactly how to remove and replace your engine now. Just takes time. So don't give up, but methodically test everything, a stator is cheaper than a CDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderjack View Post
    Got the engine buttoned up today. New top end and the rest gone through. Took it out for a small ride after letting it idle and heat cycle at the house for about 40-45 mins.. About 5 mins into the ride bam, ski shuts off. No spark from the plugs.. It can only be the stator or cdi right ?? I hope it's the cdi, since the stator is a mother fuk to get to and have to pull the engine to do it.. I'm done with this thing.. I can't win for shit.. Rant over ...

Quote Originally Posted by onedollar View Post
    Yes, very frustrating, but if you have already done all the rest of work, try not to let this get you too down. It can't only be the stator or CDI but very likely suspects. If you have the updated style ignition, I would suspect the stator before the CDI. If you do have the updated style ignition, the CDI has a small com port and it can be tested by itself out of the boat. If you do have to replace a stator, it isn't too bad, but it is easiest done with the engine out. On the bright side, you should know exactly how to remove and replace your engine now. Just takes time. So don't give up, but methodically test everything, a stator is cheaper than a CDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderjack View Post
    how do u test it.

+1
    Could be something simple like LR or kill circuit. Just my 2 cents.

I am only suspecting the stator because the battery went dead in the ski. The stator keeps the battery hot.. The no spark issue could be something else but why would the battery just randomly die?? It is a new AGM battery. I have it charging now, will do a load test on it to make sure it is good or bad. If the stator isn't putting out the needed amp/volts will it make the cdi/coil not fire ?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If the battery went dead its wither the stator or LR module. You had something drawing on the battery while the ski was not running.

+1
    Whatever you do do NOT jump start this ski with your vehicle.

8. +1 by:

Nope never would jump it with a vehicle or a box.. Only a 2-5 amp slow charge..Prob was a bad battery post.

Thread Information