Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

do i need a bellows? replacing carbon ring on 2012 gti 130

Im helping a buddy replace his carbon ring tomorrow morning, and wondering if it is necessary to replace bellows? Local shop said his probably lost tension and it should be replaced. How long are the bellows new?
    Thank you in advance
    Bill

+1
    Seems early for a 2012 so unless you're having cavitation issue I would not bother.

On my 2007 RXP the bellow boot was 6 mm shorter than new one, but that's a 5 year older machine than yours.

carbon ring blew up, with no warning

+1
    Wow did you sink?

+1
    Yes you should replace the bellows with the carbon ring because they do lose tension and they become hard and brittle.

More importantly though, is you should check the engine alignment with the pump. The carbon ring should not have failed in the first place. Unfortunately, this is a very common problem with our skis from the factory with poor alignments.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by headbush View Post
    Im helping a buddy replace his carbon ring tomorrow morning, and wondering if it is necessary to replace bellows? Local shop said his probably lost tension and it should be replaced. How long are the bellows new?
    Thank you in advance
    Bill
    Maybe it's just me but I would replace the snap clip, stainless hat(it's a new design), bellow band, 2 O-rings in the hat, two O-rings in the engine side, rubber stopper on the end of the shaft. Also check/adjust the alignment if the carbon ring is worn funky. It's a big job and spending the extra money for new OEM parts is worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

How many hours ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Yes you should replace the bellows with the carbon ring because they do lose tension and they become hard and brittle.

More importantly though, is you should check the engine alignment with the pump. The carbon ring should not have failed in the first place. Unfortunately, this is a very common problem with our skis from the factory with poor alignments.
    THAT !

I think it has 75 hours on it. You think i should replace carbon ring, bellows, hat, and clip all at once? Hat looks ok was gonna pick up a new clip, just in case we lose it or something

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by headbush View Post
    I think it has 75 hours on it. You think i should replace carbon ring, bellows, hat, and clip all at once? Hat looks ok was gonna pick up a new clip, just in case we lose it or something
    The clip is not supposed to be reused. The new stainless hat is larger in diameter to give the carbon ring a bit more area to move around on and provide a better seal...not that it should be moving around much. Rubber gets tired after 3 years of heat cycling I would replace all that stuff in my list just to feel ultra confident. I'm very risk adverse when it comes to drive line stuff. I pretty much replace all that stuff if I take it apart with any hours on it. I've almost sunk because I was lazy and didn't replace all the o-rings in my pump that was 4 years old and it almost cost me the ski. Once you almost sink, everything feels cheap. Make sure you torque all the pump bolts to spec etc. It's worth putting just the shaft back in and torque the pump on without all the stuff and just see if the shaft is going through the through hull fitting perfectly as well as make sure there is some play in the shaft...it's like 3 mm or just a little bit a play in the back and forth motion. It definitely shouldn't feel bound up.

+1
    My 96 XP and 99 GSX have the original bellows and they are just fine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information