+1

2013 FZS SHO. Where is my speed?

A few weeks ago I went 71.1 mph per gps at about 7800rpm per the stock gauge. I'm 6'1" 240 lbs. All the fastest runs were made with the trim all the way up and a full tank of gas with me sitting on the back portion of the seat and laying as flat as I could. I did try different trim positions and a few runs with 1/2 a tank of gas but there wasn't any significant difference.Setup was as follows:

R&D R3, intake, ride plate, grate, intercooler ribbon delete, engine and intercooler cooling upgrade, pump seal kit, anti-cavitation cone, R Rated free flow exhaust, Riva Solas 13/22R, Riva sponsons (the short ones)

I had the factory shims removed from the ride plate and 2 fender washers under the rear bolt holes to try to reduce bounce. I wasn't happy with the setup in the chop as it was way too bouncy, so I make the following changes:

Added a 2014 FZS SVHO nozzle and a Lucky 13 cone with no spacers. Put back the stock ride plate with the factory shims. I lost about 6mph down to 65 verified by gps. RPMs were about the same 7800 rpm. Only benefit was it bounced less in the chop.

I then took out the Solas 13/22R and replaced it with a Skat twin 12/20. I added the largest spacer on the Lucky 13 cone. I made no other changes. GPS verified speed was the same 65 mph. Rpms were somewhere just over 8000 on the factory gauge. Holeshot and acceleration were much improved.

So where is my speed? I purchased a tiny tach that I'm about to throw in to see exactly where the rpms are. I was also thinking of going back to the R&D ride plate until I can get a SVHO plate cut by Jim. Only other thing I can think of is now the water temperature is warmer than it was a few weeks ago. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

+1
    Take the L13 cone out and go back to your 83mm nozzle. I never messed with any nozzle/prop/pump stuff until I went low boost wheel, The stock prop and Venturi nozzle got me to 80mph.

Banned User
    +1
    Twin prop needs to be turned 3-500 rpm more, typically, to get the same speed as you would a single. Ex 75mph @ 7600 single prop, 75mph @ 7900+rpm dual prop.

+1
    Good info thanks. I'm more interested in holeshot and acceleration than all out top speed but a 6 mph loss is a lot. I'd like to get 75 out of it on stock boost. I'm thinking of leaving the stock ride plate for now and swapping back the stock nozzle, and taking all the spacers out of the cone. With the 12/20 twin, stock nozzle, and R&D anti-cavitation cone I was hitting the 8650 rev limiter. That is why I added the cone and nozzle to try to bring the rpms down a bit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdcoop0428 View Post
    Take the L13 cone out and go back to your 83mm nozzle. I never messed with any nozzle/prop/pump stuff until I went low boost wheel, The stock prop and Venturi nozzle got me to 80mph.

+1 regarding the cone and nozzle. When you can get a 14' cut plate by Jim and send him your 13/22R prop to get pitched. Your going to need to spin it to 8600 for 75-76 mph.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by silver93t View Post
    Good info thanks. I'm more interested in holeshot and acceleration than all out top speed but a 6 mph loss is a lot. I'd like to get 75 out of it on stock boost. I'm thinking of leaving the stock ride plate for now and swapping back the stock nozzle, and taking all the spacers out of the cone. With the 12/20 twin, stock nozzle, and R&D anti-cavitation cone I was hitting the 8650 rev limiter. That is why I added the cone and nozzle to try to bring the rpms down a bit.
    75 is more then achievable with stock boost. I went 80.7 with the stock sho wheel lol

7. +1 by:

+1
    So leave the stock ride plate in or go back to the R&D plate? I was thinking just switching back to the stock nozzle and taking all the spacers out of the cone first before giving up on it.

+1
    Think I found the issue. The Lucky 13 cone isn't sitting right with the nozzle. I have it mounted to the cone angled up but it still isn't lining up with the pump nozzle. No matter how I position it the cone angles downwards. What am I doing wrong here?
    Last edited by silver93t; 07-26-2015 at 11:24 AM.

+1
    If the lucky 13 cone was for a svho it wouldn't bolt up to the Sho as they use a different bolt pattern. Sho has 3 and svho has 4. You want the cone to be pointing up. Anyway how did it go?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange FZS View Post
    If the lucky 13 cone was for a svho it wouldn't bolt up to the Sho as they use a different bolt pattern. Sho has 3 and svho has 4. You want the cone to be pointing up. Anyway how did it go?
    So with a stock ride plate shimmed flush with the pump shoe, 12/20 twin prop, stock nozzle, and R&D anti-cavitation cone I went 68 mph. I have to throw in a tach and see exactly where the rpms are. Still slower than I want it.

Thread Information