Thread: 96 SPX help

96 SPX help

Hey. Obviously im new on this forum and im sorry if this has already been discussed but i couldnt find anything. I have a 96 spx and it wouldnt crank. New battery. I could here something clicking. I took apart the from electrical box and found a fuse blown. Replaced the fuse and it worked fine for a couple weeks. then it blew again. Now it blows as soon as i put a fuse in and hook up battery power. The wire going out of the box is shorted to ground. Anyone had this problem or have any idea where that wire goes??

Hold my beer and watch this... JohnnyMac's Avatar
    +1
    My 98 SPX had VTS wiring problems that caused all kinds of kookie issues. Maybe disconnect the VTS and see if that changes things up. Good Luck!

I unhooked the 3 plugs to the vts and the fuse doesnt blow but it still just clicks

Maybe check your starter solenoid and all cables going to starter and grounds.

+1
    Might be multiple problems. Or maybe just by chance it never was the VTS. If you have enough fuses, you might try hooking up one VTS plug at a time and see if the fuse blowing comes back. If so, you'll know which plug is blowing it. And I'm sure you already know this, but just in case, make sure you don't put a bigger fuse in there, because if it's blowing, then it's protecting your circuitry like it's designed. If you put in a bigger one, the next weakest link will blow and that might be the ECU.

It only blows when i plug the 3 wire plug that has the wire in it that goes directly to the fuse. Also is the engine suposed to start with the VTS unplugged

+1
    I'm pretty sure that the engine should start whether the VTS is plugged in or not. If you got water in through the little bellows that the VTS rod goes through in the back of the ski, (they rot out and crack) it may have shorted your VTS motor out and that's what's causing the blown fuse. I would leave that unplugged and work on why it won't start first. Like "BrokenXP" suggested, I would check on the starter solenoid and also the start/stop button. Although I'm thinking that if you hear a clicking, the solenoid is probably engaging, it might just be that the starter is bad.

Ok. Ill check the starter out tomorrow. Its just wierd that the last time it just clicked like this that fuse was blown and when i replaced it it started fine. And now when i started having cranking issues the fuse was also blown

Must have been a coincidence. I pulled the starter off and bench tested it and it wouldnt do anything. Gave it a shake and it worked once. I got one ordered. Thanks for the advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bhofer87 View Post
    Must have been a coincidence. I pulled the starter off and bench tested it and it wouldnt do anything. Gave it a shake and it worked once. I got one ordered. Thanks for the advice.
    Glad you figured it out. Some problems just don't make sense and can really drive a guy crazy.....

Thread Information