Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Angry 2014 clutch after clutch after clutch after clutch

Hey everyone,
    I just changed the supercharger clutch on my ski for the 3rd time after finding that is was broken whilst installing my kanaflex intake, jims ride plate and riva thermostat delete. I took the ski out and all ran well for 50mins. Parked the ski to go get the car as I need to add spacers to my lucky 13 cone as I was on the rev limiter. Jumped back on the ski, started it up and guess what, NO BOOST. As I idle over to the trailer I get an almighty bang and I have boost again. I added spacers and dropped it back in the water. Started up with boost all fine. I get it up on plane and cruise a few hundred meters at 4000rpm then I hear the boost go quiet then 5-10 seconds later I get another Big Bang and boost is back again. I decided to call it quits before I bust a shaft or strip the gears and idled back to the ramp.

i have got home and pulled the charger no broken teeth and the clutch passes the spin test but I know that doesn't mean it's okay.

this will be the 4th clutch I have to put in this ski. It's getting ridiculous now. I can't afford $600 every time the ski munches a clutch.

Don't get me wrong this is the only problem I keep having with this. If this didn't happen it wouldn't have missed a beat and runs 85mph all day every day. The clutch is just it's weakest link.

i am going to give it one last chance before I sell it and buy a stock ski as it's begging to take the fun out of it.

I know there are guys running more boost and horse power than me.
    if they could shine some light on how they are dealing with clutches that would be great.

Also if anyone has some feedback on the riva dampener as that is what I'm looking at dropping in along with a new clutch for one last crack. I don't really like the idea of the r&d super clutch as I have to get the charger machined and I have to always adjust and replace the thrust washers over time. I like how the riva dampener is just drop in and your done and also Maintenance free.

i am also removing the riva thermostat delete and going back to the stock stat as it is making the ski run way to cold and I think this May have contributed to the clutch failure.

Sorry about the big rant but help is MUCH APPRECIATED!
    cheers Joel

+1
    are you sure is the clutch and no other problems?
    my leaking intercooler did to me a similar issue...

+1
    I am pretty certain it is the clutch. You could literally hear it spool up and the air being sucked through the kanaflex and then it would just completely stop spooling like the clutch was free spinning then it was like the sprag would lock up again and with an almighty bang boost was back.

+1
    Doesn't matter what clutch you run mate, as soon as you add boost into the mix they basically become an expensive pile of shit. we have tried this over and over even with a low boost wheel you can only get away for so long, i think the longest a 14' clutch lasted with an 18psi wheel was around 10hrs flat water riding and easing on/off throttle slowly, in chop it can be busted in a day.
    4@600 a pop....$2400 bucks could build you a sweet turbo setup, i learnt this after 9 clutches

+1
    Yeah it all adds up mate. After clutch,oil, oil filter and gasket. Your just abit over $600. Thank god I don't have to pay labour. 9 clutches!!!!! Mate that is just insane. I don't feel so bad now lol. I've been keeping a close eye on your turbo build. I just think it's going to open a whole new can of worms if I go down that path but time will tell.

+1
    i can't believe there isn't other clutch options for the blowers, i got sick to death of blowing money and wasting hours on end pissing around up the front under the handle bars!
    all the turbo kits were way too expensive once the $ was converted plus freight theres no way out for under 10k on the water again. hardest thing for me at the moment is the tuning side of it. I'm no computer geek.

hope you find a fix soon.

Lake Lion
    +1
    Cryo the new clutch assy. I did it, didn't run it yet though.

8. +1 by:

+1
    what sort of ecu / flash tune are u running?

+1
    Have you disassembled a "broken" clutch and inspect it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAP~YA View Post
    i can't believe there isn't other clutch options for the blowers, i got sick to death of blowing money and wasting hours on end pissing around up the front under the handle bars!
    all the turbo kits were way too expensive once the $ was converted plus freight theres no way out for under 10k on the water again. hardest thing for me at the moment is the tuning side of it. I'm no computer geek.

hope you find a fix soon.
    Thanks mate, your exactly right. Seven years now since the 1st supercharged Yamaha and they still don't have a clutch that is bullet proof. Or At least an aftermarket option.It's a joke really. Like you said not the most fun job cramped under the handle bars. The r&d turbo kit would be the pick of the bunch but the cost is huge let alone with the Australian dollar so bad. Then if you build your own you cant exactly just slap a reflash on as everyone's custom setup is different. Bloody skis haha

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information