Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

04 MSX 150 Won't turn over and display not waking up, fuses are good!

As I was bringing the ski into the dock the other day the engine shutdown and it will not start. There is plenty of fuel. The battery is strong. The starter cranks over very good. Fuses are good. The display does not wake up when is cranking.

+1
    Check the voltage while cranking. Needs to be 10.5? Volts. Check the connection to the engine speed sensor. Ecu needs both these things to fire the ignition.

+1
    Wild guess is the voltage regulator. Put it on a charger and see if it fires up.

+1
    Welcome to GH DrewS!

Tell us more about your ski. How long have you had it? Ran good/normal all that time up until this issue? What was the normal max RPM/speed you normally see on it? Any previous issues that were "fixed"?

Up until the point it shutoff... had it been running normally?
    Did the ski get rolled over?

A no start condition for the Weber (engine inside the MSX 150) isn't as common. They usually start and idle pretty well.

Confirm you have 10.6+ volts at the battery while cranking to start.
    Check the grounds on the grounding lug (rear side of intake manifold)... ensure they are secure with nut
    Inspect all the wiring connectors and ensure all connectors are properly connected. See any not connected?
    How do your spark plugs look?
    When you stick the lanyard IN and tap the start button... do you hear a humm from fuel pump? Do you hear any clicks from throttle body? Display never comes on?

Did the display work up until the point when it shutoff... and it hasn't worked since then?

A bad fuel pump could cause an engine to die and not restart... but I fail to see how it would affect the display.

The start/stop handlebar switch could be suspect. Follow those wires under the hull and see where they connect into the wiring. You should be able to use a multimeter and check continuity/ohms through the switch with lanyard in/out and see how it's working.

As with all Weber's... do a compression test. So many problems possible related to engine compression.

Sorry... more questions and answers. But with some of these answers... we should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers!

Hey guys sorry for the delay for some reason I didn't get any notifications that anyone was answering my question. Thank you!!!!

It's almost like I have no power what so ever. I've had the ski for about eight months. I got it and change the turbo. Only has 60 hrs on it. And it has been running excellent. somebody went from one side of the lake to the other shut it off grab something turned it back on and came back to this side of the lake and went to pull into the dock is shut off and would not start back up. I towed it home to let it cool off tried it again the next day. Nothing. It was not rolled over or even ridden hard. The weird thing is I'm getting no clicks the display is not waking up and I hear no hum from the fuel pump. but it turns over very strong. Oil level and coolant seems ok. All the fuses look good. The display works if I press the blue button to change the gauge modes.

I see a similar problem on here from 2013 but the person never wrote what the fix was! So I have the battery on the charger and I'm going to try it tonight. I will check for the 10.6 v and the grounding and get back with you! I can check compression and plugs but it seems to be an electrical issue.

Question: If it cranks over fine then you think there could still be a issue with the start switch? I don't know if anyone has an engine diagram but what tells the fuel pump, display, ignition to do its thing when you press start? Seems like there's a lot of things being controlled by one component.

+1
    So no click or anything? All fuses good? There are three fuse blocks. Two back by the battery and one further forward.

+1
    Please confirm, the engine cranks when you push the start button, but the display won't wake up and the engine won't start?

+1
    Here is the start/stop diagram. It appears that the ecu has only a single connection to the start/stop system, and that signal goes through the SIFB which are known to be very unreliable (but your symptom is not typical). Also there have been instances where the contacts/connections to the SIFB are corroded. I'd start with the SIFB by inspecting the contacts for corrosion, then replace it if nothing obvious is found.

As you can see from the diagram, the starter motor is controlled directly by the start switch, so the engine will crank without ecu intervention. But the engine won't start without the ecu waking up, which it seems like its not doing in your case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	msx start stop diagram.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	366362  

I am confirming what you are saying about the starter kicking in in the motor turning over but nothing else happening. For instance the displays not coming on or the fuel pump.
    seems like I have an ECU issue?

+1
    Please read my previous post ECU could be at fault, but I'd check the SIFB area first. You could also check the ECU connections for corrosion as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information