Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

VXR took on water.....any ideas?

Hi everyone....
    Went out yesterday to spend a nice day at the sandbar. Cruised a bit then anchored it by one of the little islands to hang out.
    When we were leaving and jumped on.... the ski was very unstable but I didn't think anything of it yet and it started fine. After a bit thought it was obvious something was wrong...when I tried to accelerate it basically wouldn't and would stick up high in the air. Made it like that slowly to the main sandbar at haulover. I thought something might be stuck under....checked and nothing. Lifted the seat and there was a significant amount of water in there! this was a fear of mine since I got the jet ski but I was just happy to be somewhere safe at the moment. Ended up with a pricey very short tow to the closest marina because stupid me hasn't signed up for boatus yet. In hindsight we probably could have inched our way there but I was scared it would keep taking on more water or just stop. Took it to the dealer today and there is still some time left on the yamaha warranty. But any ideas of how this could have happened? It was pretty alarming... only had the ski for a month lol.
    I'm also worried the dealer is going to tell me nonsense....are they typically shady like car mechanics can be?
    I appreciate any input!!!

+1
    Install a switchable bilge pump.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Bilge pump? Sounds like placing piece electrical tape over check engine light of car.

My VXR has never taken more than 1/4 cup of water... MOST of the time there's NONE.

+1
    Thank you!.... in that case I think since I bought it from dealer it's been taking on a little bit of water each time and I just thought since it was a small amount it was on the normal side. I know it's a chance when buying used but that's why I went through a dealer and got ripped off a bit because I figured they would have checked everything. ( I did ask them when I bought it and was assured it passed water test etc) live and learn!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dckalop View Post
    Bilge pump? Sounds like placing piece electrical tape over check engine light of car.
    You obviously do not know the true value of a bilge pump to make such an ignorant comment.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    You obviously do not know the true value of a bilge pump to make such an ignorant comment.
    OP is taken on water and your solution is install a bilge pump? Ok, yea, I'm the ignorant one. LOL Post count = intelligence I'm sure of it.

OP has a problem. If you want to install bilge pump as insurance or additional safety... that's fine.. but that's not what you said. LOL OP needs find and get the problem fixed before considers bilge pump.

+1
    OP is taken on water and your solution is install a bilge pump? Ok, yea, I'm the ignorant one. LOL Post count = intelligence I'm sure of it.

OP has a problem. If you want to install bilge pump as insurance or additional safety... that's fine.. but that's not what you said. LOL OP needs find and get the problem fixed before considers bilge pump.
    Captain Obvious.....I decided to skip all the "obvious" and suggest a bilge pump because I am sure he will take possession of the ski after the warranty work is finished. Please leave this conversation to the adults.

Now again to the OP. I highly suggest a bilge pump. It may save your ass in the future. This time, you got what I call a FREE PASS on the water.

+1

Captain Obvious.....I decided to skip all the "obvious" and suggest a bilge pump because I am sure he will take possession of the ski after the warranty work is finished. Please leave this conversation to the adults.

Now again to the OP. I highly suggest a bilge pump. It may save your ass in the future. This time, you got what I call a FREE PASS on the water.

1st you call me ignorant ...

Now I guess I'm not an "adult" ...

And as bonus I get your high school captain picture from your yearbook...

How cute.

----

OP- Update us on cause of your water intake from dealer. Thanks

+1
    you should have just rode it and let the factory suction bilge pump empty the hull, no reason to pay to have it towed. and i agree with the electric bilge pump, i installed one in my heap o shit VXS too, not that it was taking on water, but i abused that water pig to no end, and as soon as you get it fixed, unload that pile to some other unknowing soul....

Sounds to me like you got a leaky shoe pump or intermediate assembly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information