Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Question Kawasaki Ultra 250x CAA1 error code mystery

Hi everybody,

I am new in this forum but have been following it as "anonymous" for a while. I own a Kawasaki Ultra 250x 2008.

I have a kind of a mystery and I am stuck and out of ideas right now. It started as a normal error code CAA1 which likely caused cylinder 2 and 3 to not ignite properly, I managed to get into the harbour though I checked the sensor and all readings where normal according to the manual so I switched the ECU to another unit and then got the same error code. Figured that it was likely the sensor anyway then so I ordered a new one. Installed it and started it up, same error code and after a few tries suddenly no ignition(spark) at all. Thoroughly checked all cabling and measured it, everything seems normal. I checked the camshaft visually to make sure nothing was misaligned and also measured max output voltage from sensor again and it is within limits. No idea on how to proceed now so I appreciate all help I can get.
    Thanks in advance.

+1
    Some additional info that might help (or not help ) in elimination process...
    - All measurements done on connector to ECU (pin 7 and 15 if I remember correctly, unplugged from ECU though)
    - Since there is no spark I also suspected Crankshaft sensor as well, measured and within limits, unplugged it, causes CAA9 as it should
    - There is 12v at the coils but no "pulse" to the coils when I crank
    - Desperate things like changing plugs and additional separate ground etc done
    - Never ingested water
    - Oil clean and battery fully charged also tried another battery

+1
    swap the coil packs around

+1
    Do you mean the connectors for coil 1 and 2 and also the spark plug cables or change to new coils from another ski?
    Is it possible for coils to cause CAA1 error code?
    Anyway I will try it today, thank you for the tip, haven't tried that yet.

+1
    Swapped the coils now, no change. Measured voltage on both connectors going in to coils, no pulse when cranking but 12v with ignition on. If I hadn't already tried another ECU the case would have been clearer. The "pulse" is generated by the Crankshaft sensor output, not camshaft sensor, right?
    Earlier (not now when I swapped coils) it all started with the ski running on 1,4 cylinders and 2,3 gave spark but timing was probably wrong due to Camshaft CAA1 sensor problem then suddenly no spark at all? and it didn't happen when I changed something, cranked it a couple of times only then suddenly dead...

+1
    Sorry not following you. If you have the manual its a pretty simple test fir the codes generated

+1
    Ok, sorry if not clear, English is not my native language I still have CAA1 error code, done every step in service manual for camshaft sensor, everything checks out, installed new camshaft sensorn, everything checks out, measured coils according to service manual even though that error code doesn't appear, 12 volt readings on coils ok but no pulse. Changed ECU, status still same.

+1
    some good info here for new 250 owners, may i suggest you take a look at all the ktechs
    to the op check this one listed below
    ktech 20-3
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39869

+1
    Thanks nicjak, before I posted I read everything Mr Google could find including those recalls And every thread on this site. I have followed every procedure recommended for troubleshooting CAA1 camshaft sensor problem that I could find including the updated service manual. Swapped sensor, ECU, measured all cables. Measured on ECU connector to eliminate cabling problems. All measurements are ok. As I state, a mystery

+1
    I am starting to suspect that CAA1 error is only as sympthom of something else. Any ideas what else could cause this? As I wrote earlier in the thread, the problem got worse when I also suddenly lost the spark...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information