+1

00 GP1200R top speed rpm

Just got my new to me GP1200R back together and test ran yesterday. Replaced impeller and wear ring, installed d plate, rebuilt carbs (OEM for now, will do OSB'S carb mods this winter), and updated oil lines with tygon and oetiker clamps. Runs good, seems slightly rich if I idle it for a while, but overall runs well. Plugs look good after several WOT runs. My question is....what is stock WOT rpm for this ski? Was running 7000 on the MFD before pump rebuild, now it has plenty of bite, so rpms would be down slightly. Now it's about 6700-6800. I know the display isn't very accurate, but it's a ballpark number. So, what should stock WOT rpm be? It's bone stock except for the d plate. Also, what should top speed be? Compression is at 115 across the board, and I think my gauge is slightly low. As always, any help and I sight is greatly appreciated!

+1
    It should be around 7100-7200.

+1
    I checked my power valve adjustment, and I have a lot of slack in the cables. The PV motors are new to me....I would assume a misadjusted PV system would hold back the WOT rpms a little?

+1
    There are ways to tweak the adjustment, but if you adjust it the way they say to in the shop manual, the rpm should be over 7 grand as mentioned.

+1
    Adjusted the PV cables. Just got back from testing it out. About 6600 is max rpm, GPS speed is 58. I used carb kits from OSDPARTS.COM, but they had aftermarket N+S's. If I let it idle more than a few seconds in the water then gun it it has a really bad rich bog. Could I have a dribbler or two on my hands? Will a leaking needle and seat affect wot rpms? Plugs look good, but these engines are jetted lean from the factory. Any thoughts or insights are appreciated! Also, before the carb rebuilds and d plate, with the worn out pump it was at 7200 wot.

Check your compression.

+1
    Compression checks perfect across the board. I thought about it all night, and I think it is my needle and seats, they were the only aftermarket parts in the kits. Add that to the fact 2 of the orings were too large, and I had to swap them out for smaller ones. Thinking back, two of the seats slipped in very easily, easily enough that they could leak under pressure. And now all signs say I have leaking N and S's. Not gonna second guess, I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the carb mods.

+1
    Use a pop off gauge as well for the carb pressure it will help diagnose some issues you might be having....

Thread Information