Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kawwy Ultra LX vs 300 UltraLX

I'm lookin at a newish 4 stroker ski.

I like the storage space stated for the Kawwy ski's. Now I do like the Ultra but not sure if I'd like the 300lx or not. I'm more prone to cruising and I like to go long distances on Lake Superior's coast line with buddies. I've been riding my 1997 Yamaha wave venture 1100 3 seater...and am looking to update my ride.

I like the contoured seat of the LX but the flat type is what im use to so I could position myself at various places on the seat if needed. here are some gen'l questions I have.

How many approx. miles per tank on the Ultra LX vs Ultra 300LX driving like a grandpa?
    Does the non supercharged version list to the left like the SC version?

I know there are a ton of variables but basic thoughts like the miles per tank with no current and calm conditions to note....I thought I found online that one could go like 150 miles but that seems like a long way. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks a ton...I'm a newbie here.

chris
    Last edited by cgariepy; 07-21-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: wasn't done

Banned User
    +1
    Let the lean be the least of your concerns, after 2 rides you'll forget it exists......

+1
    If you get the LX I think you will wish you had more power.
    I've gotten 90+ miles out of the 300x on a tank in Eco mode. It's pretty good on fuel until you get on the throttle. I'd imagine the Ultra LX mileage would be better, but keep in mind, to go 45-50, you will be at nearly full throttle on the LX.
    Like Mike H said, the lean is nothing to worry about.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    If you get the LX I think you will wish you had more power...I'd imagine the Ultra LX mileage would be better, but keep in mind, to go 45-50, you will be at nearly full throttle on the LX...
    Yes, I agree, my experience riding with NA LX and 260X together is similar gas consumption because we tend to cruise at 50 which is WFO for LX and 2/3 for X. The big advantage to LX is you can use 87octane which may be only fuel available on water. As noted repeatedly on GH over the years, the SC Ultras need premium fuel and if you skimp you take a chance.

The LX is great ski but the difference between 50 and 65 or 67 is HUGE. Its like going from impulse to warp drive. Some want it, no need it, some dont.

I like the flat X seat myself. Just like cgar said, you can position anywhere quickly and its comfortable. Sometimes I like to crouch and/or sit as far back as possible for max speed with minimal effort in certain conditions. I can do it on LX wedge seat but its not as comfortable.

6. +1 by:

+1
    If I were long-distance riding along the coast of Lake Superior (I love it up there, but have never seen it via water), my priorities would be, in order:

1. Reliability
    2. Fuel range
    3. Dry ride
    4. Seat comfort
    5. Dry storage

Unless you go often with a fast group of riders or on calm days only, top speed would not be a factor of any importance. It's really remote, it can get rough out there, the water is cold enough to kill you most of the year, and towns with gas pumps on the water are few and far between. This would be the last place I'd ever want a less fuel-efficient, higher maintenance, less reliable, premium fuel only, supercharged ski of ANY brand...

I really appreciate all of the feedback...............thanks a bunch.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by terminaldegree View Post
    If I were long-distance riding along the coast of Lake Superior (I love it up there, but have never seen it via water), my priorities would be, in order:

1. Reliability
    2. Fuel range
    3. Dry ride
    4. Seat comfort
    5. Dry storage

Unless you go often with a fast group of riders or on calm days only, top speed would not be a factor of any importance. It's really remote, it can get rough out there, the water is cold enough to kill you most of the year, and towns with gas pumps on the water are few and far between. This would be the last place I'd ever want a less fuel-efficient, higher maintenance, less reliable, premium fuel only, supercharged ski of ANY brand...
    Never boated on Lake Superior but yes I know it can get serious. Look what happened to the Edmund Fitzgerald when the gales of November came early. Ive broken several 260 SC belts so yes its been a reliability issue for me on 09 Ultra. However, the 300s and 310s have much improved SC belt tensioner and even a better SC altogether. Ive not heard many complaints regarding 300 or 310 SCs or SC belts. I usually carry 18 gallons of premium on ski so I have good touring range and never have to find gas on water. Like I said before, I think LX is great ski with some advantages if you are willing to give up holeshot and 15+ mph but want to save serious $$ and run on regular. Speed has some advantages when touring in remote areas, however, beyond just wow factor like when you must outrun a storm or approaching darkness or cant be late for dinner! I have ridden LX in bad conditions and it performed very well. If waves are big enough that you must pick your way through rather than blast over the top, however, the SC's instant throttle hit can give you better control IMHO.

+1
    I say if your looking to cruise on flat and semi choppy water get the 15F vs the LX. It's a lot lighter, has the same motor, gets good MPG and has ample storage plus it's gonna be cheaper. Of course, more power is always better so going with the 310LX is a good bet, although your gonna be paying a bunch more and your back to the gas issue.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    If you are not concerned about speed get the LX.
    The 300 will guzzle fuel and haul ass and because of the weight goes thru the chop better. But you will have more maintenance, the ability to guzzle gas, more frequent oil changes, a exhaust filter, a slight lean that really isn't an issue, but just an armload of excellent power.
    The newer LX's go 55-57.
    The 15F as mentioned is also a great ski. It hits harder in the rough but tracks well, no surprises, reverse on the wrong side, but just a great ski and same range as LX with 4 less gallons. Faster too.
    Both are very reliable.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    By the way: I believe the Ultra LX is THE BEST all-around recreational ski. Period.

12. +1 by:

+1
    I rarely disagree with my much more knowledgeable colleagues above, but the 15f would not be a good choice for Lake Superior unless you're just going around the Apostle Islands in August. The footwell stays pretty wet, and you'll get splashed at idle.

When you're boating in water that cold, staying dry is a good thing. I assume the more modern, heavy, and enormous Ultra hull would do a much better job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information