Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    Pretty sure this doesn't happen very often

    So 16 days ago I took my 2 skis (1996 Polaris SL900's) to a "boat repair shop" 1hr away after I talked with the owner on the phone. He said it would be $100 for each ski which would include:
    - Carbs rebuilt (which kits I provided)
    - Fuel lines
    - and look it over and tell me anything else I need to have addressed.

    So to make a long story shorter lol , after 16 days and was told it would be 7 or so. So after getting jerked around. I went to pick them up on the 16th day after being told they would be done 2 days earlier. I get there and they're not done yet. The owner is in Chicago until tomorrow and only people there are an old guy working on a boat engine out front and a kid in the back of the garage. The same kid who was gonna work on said skis.

    So the kid tries to make it right and drops what he is working on to do my carbs. I ended up watching him in the back sitting side by side watching him do the 3 carbs on 1st ski. When doing the 1st skis carbs I was telling him how I would like to do this myself in the future etc. and he says he'd knock off $100 if after I watch him do them that I do the ones on my other ski, which I did. As we were doing these I asked about the "extra parts from each kit: 2 rubber gaskets, 2 clear pieces with their paper gaskets and 2 o-rings. That's 8 pieces !! We both looked and couldn't figure it out.

    So I get them out on the lake after day or so and the one that was chuggy is a little better, but it is stilll chuggy. I take them home and I am going over the carb jobs in my head with the kid I was looking on the internet and I found somewhere where if you remove the big screw, that it pulled apart in half and had another gasket and 2 o-rings underneath. Plus I could clean the filter that was in there.

    Today I just got done pulling the carbs on the chuggy ski making sure I labeled and took picks of hoses and lines when I removed it. I am weary of reconnecting the throttle, choke and fuel pump? linkages, because I remember the kid having quite a time reconnecting them. I got to the half that we missed and cleaned everything up and used everything left over from rebuild kits except one of the big rubber gaskets. It was pretty dirty and the old clear pieces were paper thin like christmas wrapping paper compared to the new ones. If anything I think that should help right?

    I think the crazy thing is as I was talking about in the thread title was the fact that I was working on my own carbs in a boat shop using their equipment. What if I got hurt? carb cleaner in my eye? I'm sure the owner would S**t his pants if he knew that I was in his shop in the back on the bench working on my own carbs. It would be like going to a restaurant and making your food in the kitchen. Crazy.
    I am just glad I got to learn a skill that I will have forever !!!


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Richardson, Tx
    Posts
    294
    +1
    26
    Can you please tell us the name and address of this "boat repair shop", as well as the names of the "employees" that were there? That way, no forum member will ever find themselves paying someone to fix their own carbs and should probably not even drive down the street on which this "shop" is located.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hagarules View Post
    So 16 days ago I took my 2 skis (1996 Polaris SL900's) to a "boat repair shop" 1hr away after I talked with the owner on the phone. He said it would be $100 for each ski which would include:
    - Carbs rebuilt (which kits I provided)
    - Fuel lines
    - and look it over and tell me anything else I need to have addressed.

    So to make a long story shorter lol , after 16 days and was told it would be 7 or so. So after getting jerked around. I went to pick them up on the 16th day after being told they would be done 2 days earlier. I get there and they're not done yet. The owner is in Chicago until tomorrow and only people there are an old guy working on a boat engine out front and a kid in the back of the garage. The same kid who was gonna work on said skis.

    So the kid tries to make it right and drops what he is working on to do my carbs. I ended up watching him in the back sitting side by side watching him do the 3 carbs on 1st ski. When doing the 1st skis carbs I was telling him how I would like to do this myself in the future etc. and he says he'd knock off $100 if after I watch him do them that I do the ones on my other ski, which I did. As we were doing these I asked about the "extra parts from each kit: 2 rubber gaskets, 2 clear pieces with their paper gaskets and 2 o-rings. That's 8 pieces !! We both looked and couldn't figure it out.

    So I get them out on the lake after day or so and the one that was chuggy is a little better, but it is stilll chuggy. I take them home and I am going over the carb jobs in my head with the kid I was looking on the internet and I found somewhere where if you remove the big screw, that it pulled apart in half and had another gasket and 2 o-rings underneath. Plus I could clean the filter that was in there.

    Today I just got done pulling the carbs on the chuggy ski making sure I labeled and took picks of hoses and lines when I removed it. I am weary of reconnecting the throttle, choke and fuel pump? linkages, because I remember the kid having quite a time reconnecting them. I got to the half that we missed and cleaned everything up and used everything left over from rebuild kits except one of the big rubber gaskets. It was pretty dirty and the old clear pieces were paper thin like christmas wrapping paper compared to the new ones. If anything I think that should help right?

    I think the crazy thing is as I was talking about in the thread title was the fact that I was working on my own carbs in a boat shop using their equipment. What if I got hurt? carb cleaner in my eye? I'm sure the owner would S**t his pants if he knew that I was in his shop in the back on the bench working on my own carbs. It would be like going to a restaurant and making your food in the kitchen. Crazy.
    I am just glad I got to learn a skill that I will have forever !!!

  3. #3
    Linden, Michigan was city n state, not gonna give name of shop.

  4. #4
    So I got it back together and started it up. It took a few mins to start, had to get fuel through lines, but it did start. When started it will wind up and down like I am revving the throttle yet I'm not. What gives??

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagarules View Post
    So I got it back together and started it up. It took a few mins to start, had to get fuel through lines, but it did start. When started it will wind up and down like I am revving the throttle yet I'm not. What gives??
    Got it !!!

    I had the throttle cable hooked up just off the track and it was pulling and giving a little gas. Rehooked it back up and problem solved.

  6. #6
    Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgia - Lake Lanier - near 6TH
    Posts
    895
    +1
    21
    $100 to rebuild 3 carbs is a bad sign IMO.

    The kits to do that right are $150.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    $100 to rebuild 3 carbs is a bad sign IMO.

    The kits to do that right are $150.
    I already had the carb kits. i think I paid $24 or so per kit.

  8. #8
    I guess how I look at it is, it cost me $100 to get 6 carbs rebuilt, even though we missed 1/2 of the carb. I got a chance to learn how to do a carb rebuild on my skis. I had already bought the carb kits with the intent to do them myself, but I chickened out. That's why I took them to the shop in the 1st place.

    since then just today I pulled both carburetors in both skis and finished all 6 of them with the left over parts I kept from the original kits. So I will now do them myself in the future

  9. #9
    Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Georgia - Lake Lanier - near 6TH
    Posts
    895
    +1
    21
    $24 kits worries me.

    As much trouble as it is to rebuild carbs, I always pay the $50 per carb for genuine mikuni from John at Watcon.

    The more I rebuild these skis, the less inclined I am to skimp anywhere.

  10. #10
    ZeeC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Posts
    74
    +1
    2
    Carb rebuilding is a dying art and a non-money making job for most shops. Personally I have never gotten a good job done on that for any of my toys (bike, skis, snowmobiles).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Man, I was hoping this wouldn't happen so soon...
    By Chad in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 03:02 PM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
  3. Is this suppose to happen?
    By DeeGee in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 08:49 PM
  4. Pistonwash said this would be happening more often
    By J-ME in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 12:01 PM
  5. Hope this doesn't happen at Mudbug2
    By Jarrett in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 11:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •