Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

94 SLT 750 fuel question

So I finally got this thing rebuilt. New crank, seals, PTO piston and all new gaskets. Fuel pump upgrade and all new lines. I set the hi side screws to M-1.5 C-1.5 P-2. I set the rear a little fatter cuz that's the one I out a hole in last time but never found the culprit.
    Took it out today. I took it easy for a while trying to seat rings on the rear. Then I ran it open for a bit. Never fell on its face like before. I stopped and pulled plugs hoping they would be dripping wet. They were all a lil black and very dry. So I backed hi sides out another half turn M-2 C-2 P-2.5.
    Made a few more wide open hits and checked plugs again hoping for dripping wet. Looked about the same. Top speed was down so I knew adjustment was working (assuming I wasn't losing a cylinder). I went ahead and loaded it fearing something just isn't right. Brought it home compression is down just a lil bit on the front one (it's plug had some trash on it). It still has 100 on it though. The middle one has 115 and the rear has 105.
    When I did the fuel system upgrade, I installed a rather large see thru filter in the line coming from the tank to the selector switch. Could this be causing too much restriction on the suction side??? I'm so confused (and frankly disappointed). I just don't know where to turn from here because I have done everything I thought I was supposed to do but still can't get the results I thought I would get.
    Any ideas???
    Frustrated and confused,
    BL

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The Polaris manual states not to use any other filter but the OEM ones. Did you ever open up the carbs and have a look? There are little filters on the inlet side that could be plugged up starving the motor for fuel.

Yes I left that out. I did a complete rebuilt with mikuni parts when I did fuel pump upgrade. In fact, that's why i put the exterior filter in place- to avoid having to break down carbs to check inlet filters.
    i guess I should remove it but are there any other things I'm missing? I cleaned the selector switch. Could it be "bad"?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look at the cylinders and make sure nothing is going on in there.

Ok, but what am I looking for as far as "what might be going on"? Whatever it is would have to be on all 3 cylinders, correct?
    I'm trying to figure out what they all have in common because it seems as though as open as I had those screws it should have made at least one of them rich.
    Has anyone else successfully put an inline filter from tank to pump? Trying to eliminate or find a culprit...
    Last edited by BeeEl; 07-21-2015 at 08:43 AM.

bump

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    How does the wash pattern look?

I guess I will be pulling the heads tonight to check out the wash pattern. Is it acceptable to reuse those head gaskets if I do?

+1
    I put the fuel filter between the selector valve & fuel pump & its best to use OEM filters, they flow better, some aftermarket filters can't flow 8 or more gallons per hour.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeEl View Post
    I guess I will be pulling the heads tonight to check out the wash pattern. Is it acceptable to reuse those head gaskets if I do?
    Stop by an autoparts store and try to find a single LED flashlight with an adjustable neck...like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-35900-LE...t+aaa+flexible

Then pop the plugs only and have a look. Run the cylinder you want to look at as far down as it will go to make this easier.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information