Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

+1

Ultra Newbie needs help ...

First and foremost, I'll tell you the history on the ski, known to me. I recently picked up an 02 Ultra. Mods included rebuilt motor ported and polished with about 5 hrs on it, new bearings and pump, Shredmaster ride plate, R&D Scoop, Beachhouse sponsons, R&D flame arrestor.

This ski ran like a bat outta hell, from a dead stop it would blow away my ZXI 1100 like it was standing still.

Here comes the fun part ... I had it out in the ocean a few weeks back, a huge wave knocked me off and the ski came with me. It ran for about 10 secs until I realized it was running and pulled the lanyard. I righted it pretty quick and fired it back it up, started up right away, no issues there. However, the temp light was flashing and I couldn't get past 4k rpms for the most part. It would lunge in spurts under wide open throttle. We were out in the ocean and had a good ways to get back to the boat ramp.

I got it home, pulled the plugs, a little oily (previous owner ran premix and along with the regular oiling), but no signs of water. I gapped a new set of plugs, put them in, fired it up. Still couldn't get past 4k and the temp light was still flashing. I unplugged the temp sensor and it immediately let me rev up past 4 grand. It sounded great now, and appeared to be fine. I shut it down, plugged the sensor back in and restarted it, no issues.

About 2 weeks later, I had it back in the water and the same issue, won't rev past 4k - 4500. Coming from the car industry, it really felt like a fuel issue up top. Some online reading also pointed me in that direction.

I pulled the carbs, ran some marine carb cleaner through them, all looked fine, no gunk built up, etc. Last weekend, I threw the carbs back on and still the same issue ... it will rev fine on the trailer, although the idle seems a little off. I put it in the water and again it falls flat on it's face. If I play with the throttle, get in and out of it quickly, it will sputter up top like it wants to go, the rpms will jump from 4500 to just past 5k and it again feels like it's breaking up, sputtering.

I've checked the new plugs, they looked good, I've checked temp across all 3 cylinder and they're all close to each other, no cold cylinder. I pulled each wire too and checked for spark to make sure, which I had at all 3 cylinders ....

I feel like I'm missing something, maybe something specific I'm overlooking. I'm new to the ski world, but have worked on cars/trucks for years. Any and all help is appreciated - thanks.

so the temp gauge was indicating over heat? it sounds like the ski is going into limp mode (which cuts the ignition and will spudder like no tomorrow). the temp sensor is located on the expansion chamber, maybe make sure the plug is clean with no corrosion specially if it was a salt water ski. i have had those sensors go bad before and the ski goes into limp mode out of no where, restart run fine for a couple minds then back into limp mode.

+1
    Temp gauge was indicating over heat at first,. now it's not. I'll get one coming as I didn't like the way the wires looked on it to begin with.

+1
    Yeah look into a replacement sensor and test it then see what happens

+1
    Maybe you sucked salt water into the fuel tank. If it was upside down running, the vent in the steering would be under water. Not sure if 10 sec was long enough to suck much in though.

+1
    Posting my results and final conclusion ... just in case anyone runs into the same issue.

After ordering a new sensor from Kawi, only to find out they were on backorder, I decided to test out the one on the ski already - being as the ski was no longer showing overheat on the gauge. I tested the sensor with hot water and it was working as it should. So, I reflected back to it going into limp mode. Coming from the automotive end, I'm aware of some modules needing to reset after a fault has been set.

I disconnected the battery ground overnight, pulled the shield off the heat sensor, found some minor chafing in a couple spots - taped and loomed the wires separately (temporarily, going to heat shrink it now that it runs) so they would have no chance of possibly ever touching and grounding each other out, I also re-gapped my plugs (just to be safe). I fired it up and it sounded considerably better ...

... had it out tonight, 68mph, 6k RPMS - no issues, ran it for about 30 minutes - runs like a champ again. While I can't exactly tell you which of these fixed my issue, one of them surely did.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Even if you didn't positively identify the problem, at least thanks for getting back to us! So many people come here and ask us to solve their problem and we never hear from them again...

9. +1 by:

+1
    That was the absolute reason why I posted the results. Coming from the automotive world, I'm no stranger to forums. It was kind of a let down when I searched for days and in every thread I found with a similar issue as mine, the original poster never came back with a conclusion. At least come back and "I fixed my junk, thanks for the help", or something! Ha!

Besides, I can't leave yet, I have more to learn.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Partsguy198 View Post
    Besides, I can't leave yet, I have more to learn.
    Good! Have you read this thread yet? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161444

Lots of other things to do, like a Bilge Pump, Cooling Water Strainer, Triple Pisser, seal the display...

+1
    Ha, yeah, read that one a few days ago. Ironically, my bearing carrier starting leaking today from the bolts. Gonna wait a few days until it's good and dry to tackle fixing it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information