Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

10 hour first oil change

Anyone do their first 10 hour oil/filter change? I have a 2015 fzs...how do you access oil filter for removal? I only have 4 hrs. on it yet and was just wondering about that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fzsbill View Post
    Anyone do their first 10 hour oil/filter change? I have a 2015 fzs...how do you access oil filter for removal? I only have 4 hrs. on it yet and was just wondering about that. Thanks
    Easy access on the side of the motor. Just put down a rag under the filter to catch the drips

+1
    Take off the plastic top engine cover with 2 Phillips screws. Damn filter is on super tight from the factory. Also put on a Filter Mag. It is a super strong magnet that goes on the outside of the filter to catch the fine metal particles. It is reusable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filter mag for yamaha filter.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	366006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filtermag on yamaha filter.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	366007  

Ok I forgot about the engine cover...it must cover a lot of open space when its on...I will look at that sometime. Thanks

+1
    Ok I forgot about the engine cover...it must cover a lot of open space when its on...I will look at that sometime. Thanks
    Rip that thing off and throw it out. Never used the engine cover on my FZR because it prevents you from doing a proper pre/ post ride inspection. It doesn't do a thing. And a tip on the oil filter, they have a tendency of getting torqued down and hard to remove with limited space inside the engine compartment.... just punch a screw driver through it to loosen it off.

+1
    Just did my 10hr yesterday (at 13.1) and the filter was tight, but my filter wrench got it loosened enough that it came off pretty easy. Put a K&N on. Got exactly 1 gallon of oil out with my pump. Used Rotella T6. Put an oil absorbent pad down under the filter and didn't spill a drop. Easy Peasy.....

+1
    I was unaware you had to change the oil on these so quickly? Is this every 10 hours or just after the first "break-in" 10 hours? Also what kind of oil and filter are you Yamaha guys putting in your skis? Just the standard Yamalube stuff from Jerry's store?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE View Post
    I was unaware you had to change the oil on these so quickly? Is this every 10 hours or just after the first "break-in" 10 hours? Also what kind of oil and filter are you Yamaha guys putting in your skis? Just the standard Yamalube stuff from Jerry's store?
    The first service is a 10-hour oil/ filter change. And then thereafter its every 50 hours according to the service manual or once a year if you don't do 50 hours. There has been such a huge debate on GH over the last few years of what filter and oil are the best. IMO just stick with the Yamaha 10W-40 and the Yamaha filters on stock or lightly modded skis.

Thanks for the additional information! What is best oil extraction pump?

+1
    Thanks for the additional information! What is best oil extraction pump?
    I use a HT Moto (I think its in the online store). It's good enough for what its supposed to do. I've seen other people on here use a drill pump which might be more convenient, but never tried myself.

Pro tip: only put back as much oil as you take out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information