Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Tools really required to rebuild a Weber MPE750

Unfortunately we have fell in love with the hull, plus the crow I would have to eat from my wife if this thing flops always leaves a bad taste.

With that said, what specialty tools do I need to procure to tackle this job? I see the timing chain is integrated through both the upper case and head. But $90 for a wire puller? I will bite the bullet here if need be. The flywheel can stay on, right?

Just looking for a little advice here from experienced builders on this one.
    Last edited by K447; 08-08-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Thread title clarification

+1
    I used almost no specialty tools. it will make your life easier with ring compressor but I can loan you that otherwise the only tools I got are the bump tools, both spline tools and the alighment crank adaptor. You will need a tool/bolt
    for the front flywheel as well.

+1
    That's great! I will buy them if it makes life easier. And lend them out as we need them. Just don't want to buy a tool someone already has and is willing to rent to me. Visa versa

+1
    Now, do I sleeve or plate?

+1
    I vote for sleeve, no risk of plating failing again. Do you want to buy a fuel pressure tester too, and loan it to me

+1
    cut-paste from other thread...

Very few specialty tools are needed. You can get by mainly with regular tools. Here's a few off the top of my head that may or may not be "regular" tools to folks...
    - 5mm (and 6mm) hex key built into a socket. Just the 'L' shaped hex keys (allen wrenches) aren't going to cut it well.
    - feeler gauges - for valve shim measuring
    - valve spring compressor - if you replace valve stem seals
    - piston ring compressor - for inserting pistons
    - dremel w/ cutoff wheel - good to cut head of crimp clamps for easy removal... good to grind cam chain link for removal
    - M20x1.5 flywheel puller bolt
    - Threebond 1211 sealant - for reassembly (okay, not a tool)
    - snap-ring pliers (collapsing) - for t-stat, oil pump
    - Torque wrench - mine is 1/2" drive... 20ft-lbs to north off 100 will be fine

There are a bunch of Weber specialty tools dealing with the cam chain... but I have done without them. What I do is use a dremel to grind off a single cam chain link plate pins, then pry off side plate and remove that link. Get replacement links from Randy. To put on a link... press the side plate of link until seated (c-clamp w/ tiny socket). Then back the chain against a solid metal something (like a sledge hammer head) and then use a hammer and flat ended punch to peen the link stud against the side plate. Or buy the specialty chain link breaker and peen tool.

Can't think of any other gotta have tools. I will say...having rebuilt a few engines in a fully decked out shop with all the specialty tools... it is so much nicer and easier... but not required.

Sleeve or replate? I've always sleeved. With a replate, you also need new water pump shaft bearings (2) which need to be removed for the replating process.

Cheers!

+1
    If using the stock Pistons replate, if using the wisco or Cp sleeve. The rings for the stock Pistons are softer and designed for a lined aluminum cylinder and won't last as long on iron sleeves. How much less time? No one knows for sure but if possible I prefer to Replate for a stock rebuild. The easier rout is to sleeve.

aluminum and iron don't get along in a marine environment in my experience.

+1
    Called wiseco about Pistons..... They had no clue what I was referring to. Do I order the iron sleeves and Pistons/rings at the Same time? Hill, I would entertain re plating but everyone in my region who is worth a damn says I have to ship to a guy in Wisconsin to get a top. Itch job done.

+1
    Randy at Weberpower has it all.

He has the sleeves and the machinist instructions/blueprints the shop will need to install them.

I would call him and have him email you a parts list and estimate.

+1
    Yep... 2nd that. Randy has it all. The pistons and the sleeves. And I too have heard... Millenium is the place you would want to send your block to for re-plating.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information