Low compression; machine stops running.

Iím having trouble with my 1988 Kawasaki 650sx. I havenít been able to figure out what is wrong.
    • Iíve rebuilt the carburetor, cleaned all the fuel lines, and it starts easily and consistently in the garage. Fuel pump works fine too; I disconnected the fuel line to the carburetor and it would pump to a pail outside the engine compartment and there was plenty of gas pumping.
    • When I run it in the garage I don't hook up a water line so I only run it for 10 -15 seocnds. It always starts, no long battery wearing session. It revs easily when throttled.
    • The last time I put it in water, I could start it but it wouldnít take much throttle; it would die. I could restart it, but couldnít make it go. Eventually flooded it out (I think).
    • Prior to that, in the spring and also last summer, I could start and run it in the water and could drive it for 10 minutes or so. Eventually it would die, and then I could barely restart it and I certainly couldnít get it to go. Had to walk it back to the beach.
    • I tested compression yesterday with a tester I borrowed from AutoZone. I left one plug in and then tested the other. It's reading 105 in both cylinders. I screwed both the other plug and the compression tester in snuggly. Would low compression cause the engine to die in the lake and not restart after running for several minutes? Would it be normal that both cylinders would read low at 105 ?
    Iím just not sure what to do with it next, or if that compression test means it needs new rings/head.
    Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    105 should be just OK, borderline.
    When it dies, is it overheating? Sound like it is cause you said it cranks slow.
    Did you try new spark plugs, could be running on 1 cylinder. That would Rev out of water but die in water.
    Is it last year's gas?

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    105 should be just OK, borderline.
    When it dies, is it overheating? Sound like it is cause you said it cranks slow.
    Did you try new spark plugs, could be running on 1 cylinder. That would Rev out of water but die in water.
    Is it last year's gas?
    I'm having similar issues with my 750sxi. Fires right up but doesn't like full throttle for more than 3-4 seconds. Dies and is difficult to restart.

I'm thinking it may be a stator issue however. I will check compression in a bit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pman142 View Post
    I'm having similar issues with my 750sxi. Fires right up but doesn't like full throttle for more than 3-4 seconds. Dies and is difficult to restart.

I'm thinking it may be a stator issue however. I will check compression in a bit.
    Is this when it's cold? Do you warm it up? I doubt the stator has anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pman142 View Post

Is this when it's cold? Do you warm it up? I doubt the stator has anything to do with it.
    UPDATE: Well you were absolutely right. I had the stator repaired by jetski solutions. As great as it looks and i now can rule it out, it didn't fix the problem. Really looks nice tho.
    Proper diagnosis isn't simply repairing suspected faults (even when you feel certain)... Especially sending suspected parts all the way to Georgia from Ontario when the dollar is at $1.29 CAD. I hope to teach my children that someday. Or maybe I shouldn't have children... Thinking a lot right now.

It does this all the time. I am still thinking it is some electrical issue because it doesn't do it as much when the battery has been on the charger all night. I'm actually starting to condemn the battery. Where would everyone suggest i explore next?

+1
    What you did is called 'Thread highjacking' you should have started your own instead of piggy backing on Paul's thread. Now it has turn into a conversation about your problem instead of his.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    What you did is called 'Thread highjacking' you should have started your own instead of piggy backing on Paul's thread. Now it has turn into a conversation about your problem instead of his.
    It's not thread hijacking. I am having very similar issues as Paul and the symptoms are the same. I'm adding to the conversation and helping by ruling out causes... I don't need to be told how a forum works.

Thread Information