Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sucked up a stick...

Hi Folks, just wondering if someone can help and maybe point me in the correct direction now.

As the title says, I sucked up a hefty stick. I pulled the pump off and removed the debris, put it all back together and things are still rough. When throttling there is a lot of vibration. The wear ring has some grooves in it now, but the impeller seems to spin freely. There is still resistance, but I don't know if that is normal or not, and I am just spinning it with my hand.

The bigger concern, there sounds like a metallic rattle when the machine is running and especially when throttle is applied. The unit has about 25 hours on it total. I am fearful that something is broken or loose on the drive shaft/engine end. Overall it idles rough and I am hesitant to apply much throttle.

Any input of course is always appreciated.

The machine is a 2013 GTR. I have attached an image pre-stick removal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150718124458.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	365759

+1
    the metallic noise while running on the trailer is normal. If there are any grooves in the wear ring, replace it. Was the prop damaged from the stick or removal?

So metallic sound is present in the water as well. Not as noticeable, but certainly present. The impeller "looks" OK. Would the wear ring cause a lot of vibration?

Of course anything is possible. But could the drive shaft be out of whack? I wouldn't mind replacing the impeller or wear ring. But drive shaft might be getting out of my wheel house.

+1
    Did you rev it in the water to try and get the stick out? If so, you may have bent the driveshaft!

Yes...that is my fear. No heavy or long revs. But certainly tried at first thinking it was just weeds. Thinking I will just take it in to the dealer and have them check it out.

Removing the pump to get a stick out?

Put it on a trailer and crawl under your pwc. Have friend push the starter while in drownmode til the stick is visible. Poke it with whatever and it falls out.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by martfart View Post
    Removing the pump to get a stick out?

Put it on a trailer and crawl under your pwc. Have friend push the starter while in drownmode til the stick is visible. Poke it with whatever and it falls out.
    never do that. stupid things will cause serious injuries and poking around a jetpump while somebody is near the starter button is a quick way to visit the emergency room.

wear ring must be replaced. You're looking about about 50% thrust loss in my estimate. That translates into barely being able to get up on plane if you are under 200 pounds.

while the pump is out check for anything wrapped around the driveshaft

stuff jammed between the impeller blades can be hard to get out, the edges of the blades can cause nasty cuts.

I get lots of pumps here with gravel and all sorts of floating crap.

any wrench worth his tools and pull a pump and clear and obstruction and get the pump back on in 30 minutes tops.

vibration can be a really bent blade, or something on the driveshaft causing massive cavitation.

Thanks. The stick would have never come out with just looking around from underneath, imagine an axe struck into a log. It was similar to that. The shaft is clear, and everything looks clear back from that. It feels as though the impeller is spinning on the shaft. But when reinstalling the pump if feels like the splines mate properly. And they appear fine both on the shaft and in the impeller.

I of course am just starting my vacation...away. If I was home I could measure the shaft myself.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. lack of thrust makes sense, especially for me. I am north of 200 lbs...lol

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    there may be small debris wedged in the impeller that is hard to see without removing it. even a pebble the size of a marble can cause quite a bit of vibration..specially spinning 5k+ rpms.

with nothing detected, replacing the w/r should restore smooth operation. I'd give the motor the old push/pull just to be a sure a motor mount didn't coincidentally fail when you sucked up that twig.

when the engine comes to a "suddenhalt" it can break a mount as the entire block torques on the driveline trying to demolish whatever is jammed in the impeller.

wouldn't be surprised at all.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information