Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump Sucked up Impeller Seal

Just inspecting my jet pump as I noticed a small vibration last time out. Turns out the nose seal got sucked through the pump... I'm guessing it was during a wot run. Looks like there's some roughness on the wear ring which concerns me... Also noticed the sound was more rattling when I blew out the engine after my last run.

I want to run it this weekend but fear doing damage. Should I be concerned to run it without the pump nose seal for a few hours? If it did get sucked through the impeller at full speed what's the chance it caused a blade to lose pitch? I don't see any dings on the blades themselves since this was the factory rubber seal.

+1
    Nose cone whether the rubber or metal don't effect performance,the is rattling normal sound of the splines in the prop with the driveshaft ,did you put heavy marine grease on the spline end of the shaft?

That wear ring roughness has nothing to do with the nose cone seal and won't effect the the pitch..

You can do one or two things remove the pump and just reinstall another rubber seal or take a box cutter and slice it and just put on with your hand thru the intake grate,don't know how long it will hold in the prop nose..

Did you check up the driveshaft to see if it moved there?

I greased with waterproof marine grease, plenty of it before assembly. I was wondering if the nose cone seal could have gotten wedged under a blade while spinning fast enough to do damage and bind the pump. The seal is gone entirely... Also doesn't look like the shaft moved. I think the kawi seal fit a bit looser in the Solas impeller

Ok quick update... Decided to put it on the water today. Ran fine less vibration than I recall so that's good. I'll be pulling the pump this week to replace the seal I guess.
    Last edited by CR250Greg; 07-18-2015 at 09:11 PM.

+1
    Ha ha it's amazing the amount of tiny rocks ,debris,wood ,sea shells that go thru that pump..

that nose seal is sleeping with the fishes somewhere..

6. +1 by:

+1
    you will need to replace it with a solas if its a solas prop. they are prone to split and eventually peel off. dont split the new one and slide it on as advised above it will peel of first time it sees water..remove the pump and refit , but i wouldnt lose sleep over it fit it when you receive the new one.

8. +1 by:

+1
    It won't harm anything to run it without, I know when mine goes I lose about 3/4 mph on top speed & have alot of cavitation on the holeshot. Don't use the alum nose cones, I have tried them & they always come loose & ride up the drive shaft to the hull & get stuck where the driveshaft comes through the hull.

10. +1 by:

Guys I'm stumped... I bought a brand new seal for the solas impeller. Took the whole pump apart this weekend and pain stakingly assembled the pump, scraping and reapplying silicone on the ride plate. Looked great going together, everything was properly seated. rode it for 4 hours yesterday and to my surprise the new Solas seal has disappeared also.

Could the drive shaft have a bend in it or maybe it's sliding forward under load? I can't seem to figure this out.

Would super glue around the inner edge of the impeller snout help keep the seal from coming out? Seemed to be held together really tightly with just pressure.

+1
    Are you using the rubber seal or the aluminum seal? Also you don't have to remove the ride plate to remove the pump, just take off the boarding ladder & the 2 plate to pump screws & the pump slides right out.

Using a rubber seal. I will try to get it out next time without removing the ride plate. It was difficult to remove and install the pump with it still on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information