'04 XTX-R Idles great, hit throttle, dies immediately(?)

Working on a Bud's '04 STX-R 1200. It sat up for almost four years during a title hassle which is now solved.

Sympom: starts easily. Will idle 'till cows come home, although a bit rough, and at about 2krpm. Give a bit of gas and it falls on its face. On the hose or on the water. Starts right back up. Sometimes if I very delicately blip the throttle (incessantly -- like a Harley rider does) I can build up enough rpm, and it screams until I chicken out. This with it on the hose, and otherwise unloaded.

Here's what I've done so far:

1) Drained all fuel from the tank and replaced with new premium 93 Oct. Observed no contaminants in the stale fuel, not even water:

2) Replaced the battery with a new one: (not because of the problem, but because the old one was kaput)

3) Ensured that the fuel path from the tank is clear;

4) Observed the fuel pump drawing fuel out of a temporary, auxilarry fuel 'tank' (actually, a Jim Beam bottle) and through the fuel filter with the engine running;

5) Checked the plugs, they looked OK for a two stroke that isn't coming up to operating temp -- a little wet;

6) After coaxing it up to moderate rpm, held the throttle WFO with no load, hoping it was "loaded up" and would clear out. It sorta "clear out" somewhat and when I chickend out cuz of the high rpm, it will not idle, quits immediately. It will restart easily. Note: I've repeated this step lotsa times with same result each time.;

7) Sorta checked out the oil injection pump and noted nothing amiss.; and, lastly:

Viewed the carburetors, noted the complete lack of fuel pump, float bowl, but did notice something that looked a lot like a TPS (throttle position sensor) I panicked, busted in the house and wrote this thread.

Questions:

1) what I do now?

2) by what means do those carbs work? CV's with no float bowl I've never encountered before now.

3) What does that TP thingy do?

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by Artie; 07-18-2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: XTX-R to STX-R

What is an xtx-? Im going to take a guess and say stxr. Pull the carbs and disassemble and clean. Probably all gunked up

Found downloadable FSM. Always a good place to start. With that item, the carb disassembly, which I figured on, will be somewhat less daunting.

Hate to work on stuff that has not been used regularly!
    Last edited by Artie; 07-18-2015 at 03:49 PM.

Btw no jetski carb has float bowls, the ski would never stay running!

+1
    They are diaphragm carbs, just like a giant weedeater or chainsaw carb. The can work at any angle, even upside down, which your typical bowl style carb can not.

Thread Information