Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 01' STS 900, things to look for when buying used?

Nubee here. Looking at a 2001 Kawi STS 900. 91 hours.
    What kind of troubles and, what do I need to be on the,"Watch Out" for?

+1
    Welcome aboard, James!

That's a nice looking 'Ski/trailer.

The oil lines, if original, must be replaced. They get brittle with age and split or fall off. Secure them with stainless steel safety wire.

There is a small flat plate on the front of the engine where the oil pump mounts. Odds are there's a bunch of mud or debris in there. I would highly recommend removing the front cover, replacing the two drive coupling bearings for the oil pump, and replacing the O-rings.

If you're handy, you can do this in 4 hours the first time, and the cost will be about $75.

If it's been sitting for a long time, you're looking at flushing the fuel system and rebuilding the carbs.

Make sure to do a compression test and take it for a rid ON THE WATER before you buy it. If it has oil line problems or some other reason you can't drive it, at least test the compression and I would discount the price.

Also, verify that the display works. Replacement displays are $800.

In good condition and with a trailer, a 'Ski like that would probably bring about $1400-1700.

+1
    How much are they asking? It looks good.

-You want to hear it run, only about 15 seconds if it's not hooked to a hose or on the water.
    -If you could test ride it that would be best. Should run about 45mph I would think.
    -Should sound nice and crisp when you rev it.
    -If you can do a compression test, should see 100-110 on the low side, all three should be about the same. If it's lower than 100 it may need a top end.
    -Look at the impeller. You are looking for damaged or bent blades, you will need to crawl under it with a flashlight to look inside the intake tract.
    -Check inside the engine bay for oil leaks, standing water, obvious repairs, ect.

Thank you for your insite and help! $2000.00 includes trailer. Test riding it Sunday. Extras come with the Jet Ski

+1
    Too much! You can find Ultra 150s in that price range.

The NADA price guide says it's worth a little over $2K, but not if you look at what people here are paying for far better 'Skis.

I can't find a Jet Ski for less than that. Not here.
    There has not been an Ultra 150 for sale in 6 months.

+1
    Location and time of year do affect prices, for sure. Where are you located?

I looked through CraigsList through half of Texas (my home) and found several high-priced Ultra 150s. But they don't sell for that price. I started a thread here about ridiculous CraigsList ads. People buy a PWC, put 20 hours on it the first year, put it in the garage and don't touch it for 12 years. Then they think it's worth what they paid for it new.

My nephew bought a non-running Ultra 150 from a member here for $600. It's a crapshoot when you do that, and he's still finding little things wrong, but he'll probably end up with a decent Ultra for about $1700, plus a lot of man hours to get it running.

The NADA says the average retail on a '99 Ultra is $2100 (plus trailer).

I live in S.E. Washington state. Right where the Snake and Columbia rivers come together.

+1
    I'm not saying it's a bad deal, it appears to be in very good condition cosmetically. Make sure to check the bottom of the hull, as well.

I've never bought a used JetSki that didn't require some work. I've mentioned a few items that will most likely need to be done to it before you ride it.

As I mentioned, RIDE IT! You wouldn't believe how many people come here after they bought a 'Ski that ran great on the trailer, but performed miserably the first time they took it out. If it's been parked any length of time, there is a very good chance that the fuel has gummed up the carbs, filters, fuel level sender, etc.

EDIT: Take a look at the photos of the fuel sender on page 3 of this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=235770 This is what happens when you have old fuel in the tank, and ethanol makes it much worse than real gasoline. This is why you need to ride it.

Scheduled to try it tomorrow. I'm taking the list of items you suggested to check. Along with a flash light to check the impeller.
    Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information