Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1

    Bought a 2008 FX SHO 22hrs cracked block? Advice needed

    Bought a 2008 FX SHO from original owner in Wisconsin kept on fresh water lake


    excellent condition with only 22hrs on it, owners said it was maintained and winterized at Yamaha dealer every fall

    I live in Arkansas made it back home and put her in water only to experience very rough start and kept dying and than it ran extremely rough misfiring so I immediately loaded back up on trailer and said ok maybe bad gas. Made it home drained gas which was brown and nasty and than I decided to change spark plugs too

    I put fresh gas in it and hooked it up to water hose at the fitting under back seat and started it for 2 minutes still ran rough with misfires. Shut it off pulled old plugs. As I take out plug #1 water gushed out of spark plug hole. #2 was dry, #3 same thing water pouring out so I told my help to turn off water hose and the water level immediately sank in the cylinders when she did. #4 also dry

    so 1 and 3 are filling with water somehow from the water hose being connected

    my only explanation is they didn't winterize it right and cracked block

    any input help or advice on this is greatly appreciated as well as if anyone has a good used block or used engine for sale please let me know!

    im beyond frustrated with it and I just can't believe it

    thanks a bunch


  2. #2
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,251
    +1
    991
    Did you start the engine BEFORE you turned the hose on?

  3. #3
    ptscon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,478
    +1
    711
    Sounds like you just pushed water into your motor. You're not supposed to have water pressure with the engine off.

    Start engine, turn water on, turn water off, stop engine.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Sounds like you just pushed water into your motor. You're not supposed to have water pressure with the engine off.

    Start engine, turn water on, turn water off, stop engine.
    +1
    You can easily fill the engine with water.

    You really need one of those quick turn shut off valves that get screwed onto the garden hose end, then screw on the yamaha adapter.

    If the motor stalls, you can quickly shut off the water at the ski, vs. running like a mad man trying to get to your hose spigot before you flood out the ski.


  5. #5
    I agree. you may have water because you did not shut it off before removing spark plugs. By any chance, did you check the oil before doing this? Was there water in the oil?

    Running rough could also be due to dirty injectors.

  6. #6
    I ran it for maybe 30 seconds before I turned on the hose. And than I connected hose with the quick connector while ski was off. The water ran for maybe couple minutes without the engine running I started it again for maybe 1 minute and than killed it and I removed spark plugs without turning the water off I didn't think that it would matter. But how does the water make its way into the cylinders? And why only into cylinder 1 and 3? Are you saying that this might be normal and my ski is okay?

  7. #7
    Also yes I checked the oil before I even bought it and it looked good. I couldn't test run it there due to no lake access and it was late at night and battery was dead. I checked oil again after I ran it on the hose and it still appeared clear and fresh. The people I bought it from said it was a great machine and it didn't seem at all like they were trying to hide anything. I mean 22 hours mint condition with fresh oil and purchased from original owner I just didn't expect anything catastrophic but you live and you learn.

  8. #8
    Slamdcoop0428's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL
    Posts
    1,004
    +1
    253
    The water box fills up with water and then goes through the exhaust manifold up into the cylinders. That's why you want it running so the exhaust gas keeps the water from going up. Kinda like the off road guys that keep thier vehicles running when they get stuck in deep water.

  9. #9
    Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,661
    +1
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by wielandgeorg View Post
    I ran it for maybe 30 seconds before I turned on the hose. And than I connected hose with the quick connector while ski was off. The water ran for maybe couple minutes without the engine running I started it again for maybe 1 minute and than killed it and I removed spark plugs without turning the water off I didn't think that it would matter. But how does the water make its way into the cylinders? And why only into cylinder 1 and 3? Are you saying that this might be normal and my ski is okay?
    1.) never leave the water running with the engine off. especially for aouple of minutes. if the engine is off, the water needs to be off. all your doing is filling the motor up with water at this point.

    2.) water makes it way into the cylinders via the exhuast. the reason why cylinders 1&3 have water in them is because those were the valves that were either completely or partially open during the combustion cycle.

    3.) this is not normal. your ski is most likely not okay. your are going to need do multiple oil changes now to get the water out of the oil.

    4.) your lucky you didnt hydrolock the motor


    Quote Originally Posted by wielandgeorg View Post
    Also yes I checked the oil before I even bought it and it looked good. I couldn't test run it there due to no lake access and it was late at night and battery was dead. I checked oil again after I ran it on the hose and it still appeared clear and fresh. The people I bought it from said it was a great machine and it didn't seem at all like they were trying to hide anything. I mean 22 hours mint condition with fresh oil and purchased from original owner I just didn't expect anything catastrophic but you live and you learn.

    this is nothing catastrophic. its just caused by a lack of knowledge on what looks like an impulse buy.

  10. #10
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,251
    +1
    991
    Not to be that guy but ALWAYS READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL if you do not know what you are doing.


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2008 FX SHO Owners Attention!!
    By seasure1 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 08:14 PM
  2. Blue or Black 2008 FX SHO?
    By HaigUltra76 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 03:29 PM
  3. Looking for a 2008 FX SHO?
    By way2fast in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
  4. 2008 Fx Sho $$$
    By jpack in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM
  5. 2008 Fx Sho $$$
    By jpack in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •