break in procedure 94 SL

I just started my 94 SL after a full top end rebuild with SBT kit has 131 on all cylinders.Had 150 on the PTO til I primed the carbs with premix and turned the gas on. Carbs been rebuilt with triple outlet pump and all fuel lines replaced restrictor cleaned and installed. Now I figure I can go to the lake and start it on the trailor and possibly richen up the carbs not sure what the procedure is. Do I pull the plate for the flame arrester to make adjustments? My top FA blue plastic cover has a crack in it. Is there a replacement FA / air cleaner so I can get to adjustment screws on the carbs? Is there no way to tell if I am getting oil in the fuel? Do I just putt around and read my plugs?

I thought I was rich before I burned the hole in my PTO based on my adjustment screws at factory settings. So I wanna get it right this time. Any info would be very helpful

Thanks GH

+1
    Did you check the pop off pressure on the carbs ~18 psi? did you pressure test the motor after rebuild? it should hold 10psi for over 15 min without any drop.

If your F/A blue cover is cracked you could potentially get water in the carbs then into the engine causing major issues, Polaris still sells them as I just purchased one.

There are from Ocean Pro Vortex F/A but it means carb adjustment or possibly re-jeting the high speed side to compensate for the extra air flow.

Unfortunately you need to remove the F/A each time to make adjustments to the carbs its a pain in the a$$

The break in procedure requires premix 32:1 fuel to oil in the gas tank.

warm up ski for 10 min then go out at 20% throttle for 20 minutes.

let engine cool down completely, then go back out not more than 50% throttle 20 min

let engine cool down completely, then no more than 90% throttle 20 min

let engine cool down then you can finish off the gas in the tank at no more than 90% throttle just ensure you change the rmp's often

Then check compression.

and learn how to read piston wash! so you can tune your carbs

Thankyou very much for the info, I recently just pulled the engine and no I did'nt do a leak down. My comprerssion did change afterwards cause I checked again later PTO 135 Cen 130 Mag 140. I have read up on piston wash and hopeing I got a good under standing. Ski has changed to a 94 SLT because of registration issue's. Hopeing to have it together soon but had no linkage on the oil pump and working on that issue

+1
    my 94 sl does not have a linkage on the oil pump oil delivery is based on rpm

Gotcha Thanks for that just came back to thread because Im gearing up for first start and a trip to DMV gotta double check a few things. So mix 30 to 1 put premixed in tank with oil in other tank and do break in procedure correct? Also while Im breaking it in should checking piston wash and looking at plugs making sure there wet?

+1
    If you are using the oil injection system I would only do 50:1 in the tank with the oil injection if you where doing premix without the oil injection then you would be premixing the first tank to 32:1 then 40:1 for all others.

For you premix initial tank to 50:1 then just rely on the oil injection after the first tank.

Thread Information