97 stx 1100 need engine help!!!

So just got done rebuilding the engine on my 97 stx 1100 and started up (with starting fluid). Then my positive cable that goes to the starter got loose, so I started tearing the exhaust apart so I can reach the starter, well when I peaked into the manifold I saw fluid. Not sure if it's the gas mixed with the oil or if it's water mixed with both. My question is, is there suppose to be any type of fluid in there or is my engine flooded? I forgot to mention I was running it with the hose and forgot to turn off the hose first before turning of the ski for about 3 or 4 seconds.

+1
    Mop it up with some paper towels and see what it is. It take a little more than that to spill over into the cylinders, I think.

+1
    The exhaust is water cooled, as David said, you probably didn't flood the cylinders with water--but now you may have gotten water in it.

Why pull the exhaust off to tighten the cable on the starter?

I removed the head pipe and pushed the body exhaust to the side just to get my hands in there, I couldn't find a way to squeeze my hand through and tighten the cable. Is there a better way? If there is water in the cylinders what should I do as far as getting the water out?
    Last edited by Jose04; 07-17-2015 at 09:11 AM.

+1
    Stand on the right side of the 'Ski. Reach across the back of the engine and under the exhaust system with your left hand. I didn't say it was easy. If you have to pull the starter, stick a miniature prybar in from the front with your right hand. Again, I didn't say it was easy.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery before working on the wiring!

To check for water, remove the spark plugs and ground the plug wires to the grounding lugs. Open the throttle and crank the engine with the starter. If there is water, crank it for 30 seconds or so. Dry the spark plugs and replace them, as well as the wires, then try to start it.

Water in the engine will cause rust to start forming on the crankshaft in a day or so.

Well I've been very busy and haven't had a chance to touch the ski, now if rust does start forming would I need to rebuild engine AGAIN or can I ride it like that?

+1
    Rust will leave pits which will result in ring and bearing wear/failure, so yes, it would need a rebuild.

+1
    Pull the plugs and check for water!

Thread Information