Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fuel pump question- 02 Virage txi

Before I order a new pump I wanted to verify this is my issue. I have grounded the brown wire and i'm getting 18 lbs. of pressure. Is this low enough to cause it not to start? I have checked everything else I know to check:
    Injectors at 20 volts when cranking, unplugged TPS no change won't start, pulled plugs and I have spark.

Thanks for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    18 PSI of fuel pressure is more than enough for engine start.

Are the spark plugs wet after cranking and trying to start?

Does the engine puff and fire during cranking, or no fire at all, just cranks and cranks?

....my ski was doing something similar until i unplugged the LR503 and started it manually...you might want to check that! Definitely listen to K447 tho, he's the guru when it comes to Polaris!

The plugs seem to be wet after cranking on it. After I let it sit for awhile it will start for a second, sputter, and die- after it did this a couple of times it backfired and then would only crank. I removed one of the exhaust hoses after the backfire to make sure it didn't do any damage if it backfires again. I un-pluged the start/stop module and jumped thesolenoid- just cranks. I also pulled the fuel pump to verify the regulator is still in place.

A little more history- 2 years ago the flywheel and stator were replaced as well as the EMM was sent to DFI to be rebuilt. I have a '02 Genesis as well that has given me hardly any problems, the Virage must have a gremlin.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjn View Post
    The plugs seem to be wet after cranking on it. After I let it sit for awhile it will start for a second, sputter, and die- after it did this a couple of times it backfired and then would only crank. I removed one of the exhaust hoses after the backfire to make sure it didn't do any damage if it backfires again. I un-pluged the start/stop module and jumped the solenoid- just cranks. I also pulled the fuel pump to verify the regulator is still in place.

A little more history- 2 years ago the flywheel and stator were replaced as well as the EMM was sent to DFI to be rebuilt...
    Check that the flywheel has not shifted out of index. If the flywheel has sheared the woodruff key then the ignition timing will be incorrect.

Rotate the engine by hand until the MAG piston is right at top dead center. Then remove the CPS sensor and verify that there are three encoder ribs directly below the sensor.

I'll check it out, it will be a couple of days before I will get to work in it again.

I don't have time to work in it- but just for the hell of it I tried to start it- fired right up? Thoughts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyjn View Post
    I don't have time to work in it- but just for the hell of it I tried to start it- fired right up? Thoughts?
    If the flywheel is shifting around then sometimes it can be close to correct and engine can run, other times it will shift too far out of index and engine will not run.

If you check the TDC (MAG piston) and the flywheel is in correct position then the trouble is elsewhere.

Got ya. I am by no means a pro at this but can check most things. 2 questions how to if find toc on these and how to I crank the motor by hand? Sorry if there are novice questions.

Ok, I've got the cover off so I can rotate the motor by hand, at TDC have 3 teeth under the sensor, but the center one is not directly under the sensor hole-- am i looking at the correct thing?
    Last edited by daddyjn; 07-19-2015 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information