+1

Help me pick my next new (or used) PWC

I'm making a purchase sometime here in the next week, and just posted recently about considering an FZR for the all-out performance, but now it's looking less auspicious.

So I currently ride a 1996 Waveraider - it's been my reliable partner in mayhem for the past 11 years and have about 1,300 hours on the original 760 motor without a rebuild (still running strong / 152psi each cylinder)

Anyways, I'm seeking expanded thrills and peace of mind since I know I'm about 4x past due for an explosion..

I'm definitely buying Yamaha, and I'll be purchasing two (one for me and one for the wife). We're both into performance, but I ride much more wildly and have a penchant for lifting the tail out of the water and spinning at 50mph. Based on that, I'm going to need a nimble craft, and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices:

Used GP1300r (found a nice 08 that's stock / will need dplate/chip) - I know these can be spun around nice and easy
    New VXR/VXS (Looks like the only difference is the scalloped seat and boarding step?) - I like the weight....seems like this could be a flickable craft
    New FZR - I'm starting to be dissuaded from this one....people are telling me I won't be able to break the tail loose

Your insights are appreciated! I've never had an opportunity to ride a VXR or FZR, so I'd be flying blind in that purchase, which is a little daunting since I'd be dumping $20k at this. Speaking of, if anyone lives in Northeast Ohio and wouldn't mind sharing 10 minutes of ride time on their craft to test these, that would be amazing as well.

Thanks in advance for the input

+1
    1300r for you, new VXR for the wife.

Save you a few bucks and best of both worlds

+1
    GP1300R if you want something light and nimble that moves quick but you will lose comfort due to its small size and lack of weight.
    VXR if you want a good all around craft for ocean riding but will be limited to a mid 70 top speed modded.
    FZR/S if you want to turn harder and go faster later on but will sacrifice some offshore capabilities.

+1
    If you wanna make a trip to Tennessee I have a super nice 2004 1300R with D-Plate and chip as well as new Hydroturf mats and Fly Racing bars.

+1
    I ended up deciding to go the route of one VXR and one GP1300r. I had already been contemplating that move, and it seems like everyone confirmed it.

I'll be starting the purchasing process tomorrow and am giddy like a school girl!

6. +1 by:

Thread Information