Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

+1

2001 Polaris Virage Tx 1200 (carb)

I just bought this jet ski like a week ago(it only has 47 hours on it) not running but would turn over an pop off has 125psi compression on every cylinder. I now got it to idle rough with me feathering gas, so i checked to make sure i had spark on all cylinders and i am not getting any spark on cylinder 3 or the PTO. Pulled spark plug wire off, the wire came off the middle hook up on the coil pack and traveled to closest cylinder to the rear of jet ski. The wire ohmd out good i am at a loss from here i was told the coil was replaced from the seller. The other 2 cylinders are sparking good. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankss

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check whether the connections between CDI and Hall Effect sensors are properly plugged together. And are the correct colors.

Also look for signs of wire damage, perhaps a wire has been squashed in the seam of the electrical box and broke the copper wire inside.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Did a quick inspection of wires and nothing seems to be squashed or damaged. Can you describe what connections I am checking between the cdi and Hall sensor color of wires or is there I diagram for it. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sthompson303 View Post
    Did a quick inspection of wires and nothing seems to be squashed or damaged. Can you describe what connections I am checking between the cdi and Hall sensor color of wires or is there I diagram for it. Thanks
    Complete wiring info can be found via my signature links.

Look for the magneto stator testing links for the red domestic engine.

The Hall Effect sensor connections use bullet style connectors.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Tested coil pack even though seller said it was replaced and was good. So did the 9v battery test on stator and did not get any jump in ohms on the green wire but the ohms changed on red and blue. Now it's time to tear into the flywheel housing. What usually needs to be replaced when there is no jump in ohms(really new to this) thanks again.

+1
    Tested coil pack even though seller said it was replaced and was good. So did the 9v battery test on stator and did not get any jump in ohms on the green wire but the ohms changed on red and blue.

Now it's time to tear into the flywheel housing. What usually needs to be replaced when there is no jump in ohms(really new to this) thanks again.
    The Polaris magneto stator is a one piece deal. Unless you find a broken wire that can be fixed, the entire stator will need replacement.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks k447 for being there instantly to answer my questions. I have the stator on order is there any thing special i need to do to hook it up to my current cdi(reprogramming). Any tips and tricks greatly appreciated on getting this stator replaced.

+1
    Thanks k447 for being there instantly to answer my questions. I have the stator on order is there any thing special i need to do to hook it up to my current cdi(reprogramming). Any tips and tricks greatly appreciated on getting this stator replaced.
    Is this replacement stator Polaris OEM or aftermarket?

After replacing the stator it is recommended to check the engine timing. Not everybody does, and sometimes it works out OK. And sometimes it doesn't.

Be sure to NOT loosen the small bolts for the timing ring near the hub of the flywheel. If you loosen and shift the timing ring position you will definitely have to check and adjust the timing.

Adjusting timing is a pain in the flywheel. The adjustment is mechanical at those small bolts, but running the engine with the flywheel cover removed is hard on the Bendix gear assembly.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Replacement stator should be oem replacement ordered through bikebandit.com so I should just have to make sure I am timed after replacing the stator correct? Thanks again k447 your very helpful!!!
    Last edited by sthompson303; 07-17-2015 at 10:43 AM.

+1
    i was wondering when i am doing this repair should i just eliminate oil pump to me it seems like a no brainer to eliminate never have to worry about not getting oil if that pump ever becomes faulty.

Thanks so much for all your help. YOU ROCK K447 !!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information