+1

Which hose to clamp for towing?

I've got some new Seadoo GTI 130SE skis, (2014-15). I figured I should know what to do in the event of needing a tow. Someone suggested I bring a clamp for a long trip i'm taking but I'm just not sure which one.

I also don't really get why there is water going through the hoses. It sounds dumb and I'm sure theres a great explanation but when I've googled I've seen results like this. Hopefully I won't need to have them towed but any help would be appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual_clip_image008.jpg 
Views:	1258 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	365417

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    I've got some new Seadoo GTI 130SE skis, (2014-15). I figured I should know what to do in the event of needing a tow. Someone suggested I bring a clamp for a long trip i'm taking but I'm just not sure which one.

I also don't really get why there is water going through the hoses. It sounds dumb and I'm sure theres a great explanation but when I've googled I've seen results like this. Hopefully I won't need to have them towed but any help would be appreciated.

Your watercraft is powered by a gasoline engine. A fairly high powered engine. Gasoline engines consume gasoline and produce heat as a byproduct of producing the mechanical power that propelled the jet pump.

The engine produces so much waste heat that it would literally melt internally within a few minutes if it was not cooled. Watercraft use the water flowing through the jet pump to cool the engine. This is done by redirecting a very small portion of the jet pump water into a hose system that runs forward into the hull, where it connects into the engine. This cooling water flows through the engine cooling jackets and the heated water is then dumped out the back of the hull.

If you are going on a long trip, or even if not, it is recommended you learn about how the mechanical systems of the watercraft actually work. You may find yourself is a situation where knowing how the thing works can allow you to correct the problem in a few minutes, by yourself.

Not knowing
    may mean waiting for others to come assist, or perhaps tow the machine. Worst case is you might need to abandon the machine because you cannot get it going.

Something as small as a plastic bottle cap or a small stick can render the jet pump ineffective if it gets stuck in the wrong place.

+1

Not to bust your ballz, but have your bothered to read the owners manual?

The information you seek is on page 105 of the 2015 guide.

Graphic below shows the hose; it usually is also marked with red tape.

Name:	7-15-2015 6-38-13 AM.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	365440

+1
    Thanks. I knew it was going to be one of the noob-ier questions around here. I read a lot of the manual but that was when we got the 2014 and probably didn't pay much attention to the towing stuff.

K447, I know all about that unfortunately lol. We tried to go ride after we got tons of rain and the lakes went up above normal. The water looked fine, no debris and there were lots of other jet skiers out. We made it 20 feet off the ramp and both sucked up some sticks. Great stuff. It was a bitch to get out but that was a nice lesson learned. When we bought the skis they pointed out how it doesnt use lake water to cool the engine because of the closed loop cooling system. I guess thats where i've been confused.

I'll grab my manual again tonight. One last dumb question, any recommendations on a clamp?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks. I knew it was going to be one of the noob-ier questions around here. I read a lot of the manual but that was when we got the 2014 and probably didn't pay much attention to the towing stuff.

K447, I know all about that unfortunately lol. We tried to go ride after we got tons of rain and the lakes went up above normal. The water looked fine, no debris and there were lots of other jet skiers out. We made it 20 feet off the ramp and both sucked up some sticks. Great stuff. It was a bitch to get out but that was a nice lesson learned. When we bought the skis they pointed out how it doesnt use lake water to cool the engine because of the closed loop cooling system. I guess thats where i've been confused.

I'll grab my manual again tonight. One last dumb question, any recommendations on a clamp?
    My answer was rather generic. The Seadoo 4-Tec cooling system does use the ride plate as a flat radiator in a closed coolant loop so raw lake water is not used to cool the actual engine.

However, raw water from the jet pump is used to cool the hot exhaust gases where they exit the engine exhaust manifold. This lake water is injected/sprayed directly into the exhaust flow and cools it just enough that the large rubber exhaust hoses and water box remain at reasonable temperatures. The injected water gets blown through the exhaust system and exits the hull along with the engine exhaust. This is why sometimes you will see steam behind a running watercraft.

The issue is when the craft is being towed at speed the jet pump becomes partially pressurized just from the towing. This water pressure then feeds into the exhaust water injection. If the engine was running, this would not be a problem as the exhaust flow would carry the water through the exhaust system.

If the engine is not running during fast towing then there is a risk of the injected water accumulating in the exhaust system and then back flooding into the engine itself. This is a bad thing, and is why it is recommended to clamp flat the hose that feeds lake water into the exhaust.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

My answer was rather generic. The Seadoo 4-Tec cooling system does use the ride plate as a flat radiator in a closed coolant loop so raw lake water is not used to cool the actual engine.

However, raw water from the jet pump is used to cool the hot exhaust gases where they exit the engine exhaust manifold. This lake water is injected/sprayed directly into the exhaust flow and cools it just enough that the large rubber exhaust hoses and water box remain at reasonable temperatures. The injected water gets blown through the exhaust system and exits the hull along with the engine exhaust. This is why sometimes you will see steam behind a running watercraft.

The issue is when the craft is being towed at speed the jet pump becomes partially pressurized just from the towing. This water pressure then feeds into the exhaust water injection. If the engine was running, this would not be a problem as the exhaust flow would carry the water through the exhaust system.

If the engine is not running during fast towing then there is a risk of the injected water accumulating in the exhaust system and then back flooding into the engine itself. This is a bad thing, and is why it is recommended to clamp flat the hose that feeds lake water into the exhaust.
    Good to know. Its been bothering me for weeks. I like knowing how things work but any time I would Google it I'd get simplified articles or stuff relating to other brands that do use the lake water to cool the engine. I've heard of skis flooding when a hose pops off and wondered how that was possible if the impeller just shot the water out the back. Now it makes sense.

I have seen the steam you mention, but I just figured it was smoke or the exhaust pipe was steaming from being hot. I also saw the manual and it does say any towing over 13 mph will risk water getting into the engine. I'd probably just clamp it for any towing just to be safe of course. Thanks for the info.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    To answer your question regarding recommendations, I carry two tools for the job, although I have not had a reason to use either so can't comment on how well they work. Not packed in my kit, hanging by a hook/strap inside the front storage is a Lisle hose pincher (http://www.amazon.ca/Lisle-23000-Hos...s=hose+pincher). Tucked into my tool kit is also a long nose vise grip which is my "last resort" clamp. I carry two short pieces of hose to slip over the ends/teeth of the pliers prior to clamping.

BRP recommends a product for this I believe (http://www.parkeryamaha.com/seadooho...295000076.aspx).

+1

Name:	IMG_0447.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	365714

IMO, there is a simpler way to solve this problem. Put an Inline brass ball fitting (red handle) inline with the MAIN water line that comes from the pump to the front of the exhaust manifold! This shuts off ALL water to exhaust manifold, intake manifold, water box, etc. and allows to be towed with ease and NO tools required. Put it in a location that easy to access quickly. It does not matter what year ski is, the concept is the same. The picture is a 2010 RXT-X 260.

I had to be towed myself on the second day of my vacation last week due to my water box splitting wide open at the seam! I had a tow rope in the ski and simply turned the valve and a way we went. Both of my bilge pumps kicked on immediately telling me I had a problem! The first time I was towed was due to a throttle servo failure. Point being, you never know why you may need to be towed………

You obviously need to open the valve when the problem is resolved.

You are very wise to research this subject. It is not a matter of if it will happen, but when!
    Last edited by jpt7779; 07-17-2015 at 10:07 PM.

+1
    Last edited by K447; 10-02-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Thread Information