Red face Best aftermarket rear crank oil seal.. Need to get one ASAP

I just purchased a factory polaris crank seal for the SLX 1200 and also the rear seal. Turns out the rear seal was out of stock so I need to find the next best thing to the oem real seal.. What has the best track record out there?? Would like to get one ASAP.. Links is a plus, also anything less then the 40$ the oem one costs is great to as long as it is a good Seal.. ALSO WILL ANY 1200 Polaris rear seal work as long as it it is the single seal and not the 2 part one in the SLX ??Thanks

+1
    https://www.wsmparts.com/ - they'll get you a seal as fast as anyone, and IMO the quality of their replacement parts is very good - not terribly familiar with the seal setup on a 1200, but these guys can help you

Quote Originally Posted by Fenderjack View Post
    I just purchased a factory polaris crank seal for the SLX 1200 and also the rear seal. Turns out the rear seal was out of stock so I need to find the next best thing to the oem real seal.. What has the best track record out there?? Would like to get one ASAP.. Links is a plus, also anything less then the 40$ the oem one costs is great to as long as it is a good Seal.. ALSO WILL ANY 1200 Polaris rear seal work as long as it it is the single seal and not the 2 part one in the SLX ??Thanks

Thanks for the link. Have you use their seals before? I heard that they did have serious issues with seals years back so I'm going to assume that they have gotten better?. Thank you

+1
    I've used the WSM gasket sets with good results on Polaris rebuilds. Will their rear PTO seals (2, back-to-back)... or their single MAG case seal... last as long as OEM Polaris seals? I can not say.

SBT sells them too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Cran...ed0738&vxp=mtr

From K447's Polaris PWC Knowledge Site:

There are several variations for the Mag and PTO crank shaft seals
    A recommended upgrade for all 1996-2000 red domestic engines is to use the double rear PTO crank shaft seal arrangement, which was the factory method on 2001-2004 domestic engines. The two rear seals are installed without a rear snap ring, and replace the single more expensive 5411524 (SEAL, TYPE BA SL).
    Note: MAG crank seal always has a snap ring (two on the MSX 140 crank).

Genuine Polaris OEM crank seals are recommended for best fit and seal longevity, even if they cost more.
    Two 5412091 (Seal, Flange - 2004, some 2003) or 5411937 (2001-2003) [SEAL-FLANGE 35X72X7,SS SPRG] for the rear.
    Cheers!

+1
    I have a brand new full WSM gasket/seal kit for a 780 motor here. I looked at the seals to try to get an idea where they are from, and I saw the brand name Seagull. Here is a link to the Seagull website -

http://www.cens.com/cens/html/en/sup...home_4145.html

Don't know if WSM Domestic seals are from here as well, but they probably are. Made in Taiwan, probably no real reason to not use them. I do not work for Seagull or WSM.

Thanks for the link. Have you use their seals before? I heard that they did have serious issues with seals years back so I'm going to assume that they have gotten better?. Thank you

Thanks for some info.. I know the rear seal is a Chicago Rawhide seal.. I need to get the number off of it.. It would seem as if polaris uses them and scratches off a number or 2.. its like the cheap ones price scares me away, the OEM ones price does aswell esp after the shipping... Maybe I will try the WSM or the SBT.. My buddy has a SBT engine and has about 5 years on it so far.. Hmmm decisions decisions LOL.. Thankssss

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The two piece rear crank shaft seal is considered an upgrade over the one piece style seal on the red domestic engines.

The two piece seal is normally two of the same part number. I have been told by well regarded engine builders that the Polaris OEM crank seals are about the best quality you can find.

To switch the engine from one piece seal to double seal configuration the rear snap ring is omitted and the rearmost seal takes its place.

There is an optional upgrade whereby the inner seal of the pair is upgraded to use the seal from a Polaris snowmobile engine. That seal has Teflon material on the seal lip.

Engine crank seals are a critical component. Buy quality.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If you really want the single rear seal I have a brand new Polaris OEM seal I can sell you....I will never use it.

How much do you want for it Mr Matrix ? I have no reason to believe it is not a good design as the stock one has lasted in this engine for 15 years lol. They should have upgraded the front seal hahah.. Shoot me a private message.. Thanks

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    It is not as good as the double rear seal setup.

Thread Information