Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Scratching the Bottom of the Hull

Is this like a ripping a bandaid off doesn't hurt if you do it fast? lol I like to beach the ski at sandbars and restaurants/bars here in NJ. I have the usual scratches on the very bottom from it rubbing on the sand, is this something that you let happen and have the bottom of the hull re-finished after a couple of years? I just wanted to see what everyone does in this category.

+1
    I have two bald spots on the bottom of my '13 from beaching on sandbars and beaches. Every ski I've ever had did this and never was there an issue.

The beauty of the SeaDoo hull, they still use good old gelcoat on bottom and top deck. So what I do every so often is mix up a pint of gelcoat (black), add a little cab-o-sil to thicken it up (prevents drips) and brush it on worn area. You can wet sand or leave as it is.

Get a sand anchor

+1
    Beach it and dont worry about it.... You cant keep it beautiful for ever, and beside no one looks at the bottom anyways....

Banned User
    +1
    I always anchor, not an issue unless you overlook a nasty buried rock. Its time consuming to gel coat as multiple coats are needed between sanding but not difficult.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffStalone View Post
    Its time consuming to gel coat as multiple coats are needed between sanding but not difficult.
    This is why I mentioned I mix cab-o-sil in the gelcoat. You can make it as thick as pudding or toothpaste. The only sanding you need to do is keep on beaching it. I can gelcoat the bottom pad (V) in under 5 minutes from start to end.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffStalone View Post
    Its time consuming to gel coat as multiple coats are needed between sanding but not difficult.
    This is why I mentioned I mix cab-o-sil in the gelcoat. You can make it as thick as pudding or toothpaste. The only sanding you need to do is keep on beaching it. I can gelcoat the bottom pad (V) in under 5 minutes from start to end.
    That's a great iea! I'll do the same when the time comes.

+1
    Yeap, patching up with gelcoat is super easy, the only "tricky part" is getting the right amount of hardener/catalyst when mixing small amounts. Other than that, wipe the area with acetone, mix gelcoat, brush on, done. Wet sand if working on above water surface section, purely for cosmetic reasons.

+1
    my brand new ski has a ton of scratches on the bottom of it from beaching it during the day for the last 3 days, and also somehow from my brand new trailer. I noticed it this evening when I looked at the hull after getting it up on my roll-n-go ramp. I think the ramp is causing scratches too, I just hope it is not bottoming out on it. I was relieved after reading this but will be investigating it more tomorrow in the daylight..

+1
    Only scratches you should ever deal with are deep ones that expose the material underneath. You will know because it will be a different color.

Guys, these are SeaDoo's not nanoXcell garbage, don't worry about scratches. Hull is SOLID, they are 100% cosmetic. Worry about where you plan to ride next!

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information