Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Polaris Freedom Start issue

I have a 2002 Polaris freedom that starts fine all week, then all of a sudden it won't start!!! Then all of a sudden it starts. The problem seemed to be in lanyard safety switch, since pressing the start/stop would turn over motor without lanyard and when I put the lanyard on, it would do nothing. Then the next day it's working. I don't get it???
    I tested the battery voltage while engine running and it read 12.58 and climbing.
    Anyone have any ideas??
    Could it be the LR 505???
    Last edited by hookitup; 07-14-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added info

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bypass the LR-505 and see if the engine now starts consistently.

Make sure you charge the battery first as there will be no charging with the LR module bypassed.

How do you bypass LR 505

How do you bypass LR 505

Battery is charging. I disconnected the black/Yellow wires from the LR 505 and it started no problem but wouldn't shut off with stop/start button. Had to pull neg. cable.
    Also the battery seemed to drain quickly, had 12.38v but couldn't turn over, and that was with LR 505 connected.
    Last edited by hookitup; 07-15-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hookitup View Post
    Battery is charging. I disconnected the black/Yellow wires from the LR 505 and it started no problem but wouldn't shut off with stop/start button. Had to pull neg. cable.
    Also the battery seemed to drain quickly, had 12.38v but couldn't turn over, and that was with LR 505 connected.
    With LR Start/Stop module bypassed pulling the lanyard out should still shut down the engine.

On a carb engine you can usually force it to shut down just by applying full choke and full throttle at the same time. Forces the carbs to run way too rich and the mixture won't ignite.

A bad LR module can drain the battery, depending on how it has failed internally.

would it also affect the safety lanyard switch??

+1
    would it also affect the safety lanyard switch??
    Only if you unplugged more wires than the actual LR module wires needed to do the bypass.

The ignition kill switch uses a black/yellow wire to tell the engine CDI module to stop the engine. Grounding the black/Yellow wire shuts down ignition.

The LR module also connects to this black/Yellow wire so it can stop the engine when you press the Start/Stop button while the engine is running. The LR black/yellow wire is unplugged as part of the bypass test.

Ok that explains why no shut off.
    But if I have no wires unplugged all things connected, would the lanyard switch not work due to LR 505?? As stated in previous post: The problem seemed to be in lanyard safety switch, since pressing the start/stop would turn over motor without lanyard and when I put the lanyard on, it would do nothing. Then the next day it's working. I don't get it???

+1
    Ok that explains why no shut off.
    But if I have no wires unplugged all things connected, would the lanyard switch not work due to LR 505?? As stated in previous post: The problem seemed to be in lanyard safety switch, since pressing the start/stop would turn over motor without lanyard and when I put the lanyard on, it would do nothing. Then the next day it's working. I don't get it???
    If the engine starts with the LR module bypassed, and also shuts off when the lanyard is pulled, then the engine itself is working properly.

If you reconnect the LR Start/Stop module and it no longer starts or does not behave normally, then the LR module is probably bad.

One possible symptom of a bad LR module is for it to not crank with lanyard in place, but crank with lanyard removed.

Your LR module could be right on the edge of complete failure, and perhaps sun heating during the day or a cool night will affect whether it is going to behave or not behave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information