+1

Schrader valve blew apart

Sunday had a nice ride around the lake at my camp. First ride went off without a hitch about 30 min. Parked it for about 3 hrs and decided to go for another spin. It started up fine and i let it idle for a bit like always. I noticed it was idling at 1400ish which is high. I also had a slight vibration. I gas it some gas and it just sputtered and died. Not thinking the valve blew out I kept trying to start it. I was rough on the lake and I didn't feel safe taking the seat off so I swam it back to camp. Once the seat was off I smelled gas and noticed the valve gone. I just ordered 2 new replacements from dealer(I also have injected genesis). I did read about others having this happen and mine blew out. I did try and start it while dead on the water so alot of fuel dumped into hull. I tried to remove what I could on shore with newspaper and then parked back on lift and left seat ajar and hood. Ill be back Sunday and work on it some more and hopefully put new valve in. Whats the best way to remove the gas. I was going to buy absorbent towels. Thanks everybody for the help over the years. I never would have attempted any of the repairs I have done before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schrader valve.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	365292  

+1
    Just remove it then it can never fail again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Just remove it then it can never fail again.
    So the only purpose for that it testing fuel pressure then. I could remove and add one if needed for testing. Sounds like a good idea.

4. +1 by:

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I bet somebody makes a schrader pressure test t fitting thats not plastic.

+1
    Same thing happened on my ole MSX 140... to the new owner right after I sold it... d'oh! I told him to just by a brass barbed connector and some hose clamps and just to replace the schrader tee. He reports it's running great.

I can see why they didn't use those schrader tees on the MSX 150. With our higher fuel pressures... they likely wouldn't have lasted too long.

Cheers!

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    A 1/8 NPT brass T with hose barbs and a schrader fitting in the T. All made from brass. I may do this to my MSX instead of the plastic fitting. Or even fit an in line gauge instead of the schrader port.

I just used a brass T and permanently installed a pressure gauge so I can check my fuel pressure at any time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150504_170000[1].jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	365378  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LM53 View Post
    I just used a brass T and permanently installed a pressure gauge so I can check my fuel pressure at any time.

How much shaking does the engine give to that gauge? Does the gauge body bang against the vibrating engine? Looks really close.

I might be concerned about the pressure gauge failing from vibration over time. The 1200 motor really shakes in the 2500RPM range.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LM53 View Post

How much shaking does the engine give to that gauge? Does the gauge body bang against the vibrating engine? Looks really close.

I might be concerned about the pressure gauge failing from vibration over time. The 1200 motor really shakes in the 2500RPM range.
    ideally if I could've found a spot on the dash where I could have mounted a panel mount gauge so I could monitor fuel pressure while riding would've been nice but there's really nowhere to mount a gauge on the MSX. The gauge doesn't bounce around or hit anything at all I think it will be just fine. I've probably put 10 hours on since the gauge has been installed with no ill effects.

+1

Thread Information