95 zxi 900 problems

ok so here is the deal, i just rebuilt the top end of the motor on my zxi 900, took it out over the july 4th weekend and it ran top notch for about 2 hours then died. the motor is not seized but there is no compresion in one of the cylinders, i pulled the head and two of the pistons look like i chizzeled out pieces off the top, the cylinder sleeves look great still. i think i may know why and it may be my fault, the RPM's on this would tach right to 8000 at about half throttle so i think the engine may have been reving to high for to long (it is my sons so i know it was full throtle all the time). now my question is how do i fix this, is it an impeller or wear ring or both, that is the deal with it. looking at the impeller it does not look to bad so im not sure if it could be that or the ring. i have already dumped a lot of money into this and my wife does not want me to put anymore into it but as it is it is really worth nothing, any help would be great, thank you all.

+1
    Did you have the piston/cylinder clearance set to specs? Check the piston ring end gap? Pistons facing the correct direction? Were you running extra oil?

You can't run a brand new engine full throttle continuously during the first couple of hours, especially if you're not running the extra oil.

Yes I did all that. The cylinders were bored by a machine shop and they had the pistons. I do believe that the gap on the rings were good. I ran 32:1 oil in it for one and a half tanks varying the speed. This happened after about 3 tanks. I can't think of anything other than the over revving. I really followed the book with the rebuild. I am so pissed and my son is devastated.

+1
    My guess would be a plugged up carb making it run lean.

so you don't think that the over revving would have anything to do with it, making the engine run to hot. the inside of the cylinder looked like it was well lubricated.

+1
    Well, you can't 'over rev' it because the ignition system limits the max RPM. You can run it too fast for a new engine. New engines have sharp'rough edges that have to wear in together so they fit properly. When you break in an engine, you're actually wearing it out in a controlled manner, with lots of oil. You avoid continuous high speed operation during this period because these sharp edges will get too hot and cause permanent damage. You run it hard for a brief period and let it cool down, then do it again.

I don't think your tach is accurate.

Why did you do the top overhaul in the first place?

My guess would be either carbs or plugged cooling.

Don't feel bad, I bought a basket case STX 2 years ago. Seller had the engine in pieces and told me an oil line came off. I should have gone through the carbs, but he told me it was running great until it dropped the oil line. I was really rushed to get it done before we went on vacation, so I didn't do the carbs. In fact, the first time I ever put it in the water was while on vacation. We ran it pretty conservatively the first two days, ran it hard the third day--and seized a piston. I haven't had time to tear it down. I'm hoping to take it on vacation again in October, but I've got 600 feet of fence to build before then. The JetSki comes after the fence.

I rebuilt the engine because the center cylinder melted due to oil line. I switched to premix. I thought I broke it in ok but maybe not. It is killing me bc this ski is so much fun and I had to repair a medium pizza size hole in the bottom that the previous owner did a good job covering up, just bondo no fiberglass. I feel I am rescuing this ski but wife is pissed and does not want me to put any more money into it. Just don't know where to go from here. I don't think I need a rebuild just maybe a piston, the sleeve still looks great. Idk I guess I have some thinking to do.

Thread Information