Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2000 genesis carb no start button or bilge button

After stator repair ski ran great for 4th weekend. Went to clean it up today. No start button, no bilge. Changed lr 505 with known good ones no change. Took start button apart looked good, tried to jump at button no start. Jumped at starter solenoid, started right up, volts good, tach works? Also when running reverse worked. Thanks for looking

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bilge button does not provide power to the bilge pump? Check voltage flow from battery through Bilge button to feed the Orange wires, should always work.

Went to ski am. Started and bilge worked. After a few minutes same, no starter no bilge. Checked orange wire out of voltage regulator no volts. It looked like red purple power in, orange should be power out to board? Then tried different voltage regulators that I check to work after stator repair. Same. I then jump red purple to orange on board bilge came on. I noticed some bubbles on the cdi where the marker writing is the b on carb was no longer readable. if jumped at starter solenoid it looks good, volts good, tach works, lanyard works, reverse works. 3 voltage regulators no power on orange. Would this run if I just connected start button directly to starter solenoid? Thanks for looking again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1dion View Post
    Went to ski am. Started and bilge worked. After a few minutes same, no starter no bilge.

Checked orange wire out of voltage regulator no volts. It looked like red purple power in, orange should be power out to board? Then tried different voltage regulators that I check to work after stator repair. Same.

I then jump red purple to orange on board bilge came on.

I noticed some bubbles on the cdi where the marker writing is the b on carb was no longer readable.

if jumped at starter solenoid it looks good, volts good, tach works, lanyard works, reverse works. 3 voltage regulators no power on orange. Would this run if I just connected start button directly to starter solenoid? Thanks for looking again
    What is the battery voltage when the engine is running? Is it the same charging voltage even when the engine doesn't crank normally?

The Bilge button not working sometimes is worrisome. The Bilge button is a simple switch that bridges between Red/Purple and Orange. I would be tracing wires and checking grounds for intermittent issues, corrosion, etc.
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Hi .just went to check volts charging when jumped. Seamed good 13.4 to 13.9 idle. Checked bad grounds corrosion could find none very clean. I did find engine would stop when start and bilge pressed. Also seemed like the Orange wire out of regulator would charge Orange wire side of board. No volts coming out of Orange wire on different regulators

+1
    Hi .just went to check volts charging when jumped. Seamed good 13.4 to 13.9 idle. Checked bad grounds corrosion could find none very clean.

I did find engine would stop when start and bilge pressed.
    Was this with the start/Stop module bypassed?
    If the LR module is hooked up then the 'Start' button is also the Stop button

Also seemed like the Orange wire out of regulator would charge Orange wire side of board. No volts coming out of Orange wire on different regulators
    Something ain't right.

The stop button would not stop with out the bilge pressed at the same time. Should the orange wire out of regulator be power to orange side of board. Jumped r/p to orange all contacts voltage good, fuses good bilge works. Does the cdi have any control of start stop or bilge. The ski ran perfect for 3 days after stator change. Could any of the stator wires cause this. Also both problems are same problem because when it did start by start/stop the bilge worked. Then both failed at same time? Thanks

The stop button would not stop with out the bilge pressed at the same time. Should the orange wire out of regulator be power to orange side of board. Jumped r/p to orange all contacts voltage good, fuses good bilge works. Does the cdi have any control of start stop or bilge. The ski ran perfect for 3 days after stator change. Could any of the stator wires cause this. Also both problems are same problem because when it did start by start/stop the bilge worked. Then both failed at same time? Thanks

+1
    The CDI runs the ignition system, and only the ignition system. The rest of the electrical is effectively separate, with some notes.

The CDI shares the same electrical ground in the electric box with everything else. That electrical box ground in turn goes through a single black wire that runs forward to the magneto stator assembly, where the black wire is grounded through the stator frame mounting and bolts to the engine case.

That black stator ground wire must be zero ohms to the engine case, since it is the ground for everything else. If the stator black wire is damaged or has more than zero ohms then the electrical system will not behave properly.

The LR module senses engine rotation via the Yellow wire from the magneto charging coil. When Yellow wire has AC voltage (engine is turning) then the LR module switches battery power onto the Orange wire. This power comes from the Red/Purple wire into the LR module, which has a direct connection to the battery via the circuit breaker.

The Bilge button is a simple push button switch that links the Red/Purple wire in the handlebar (battery power) with the Orange wire.

On some red engines the Orange wire is also connected to the CDI via the single Red/Purple wire that goes directly into the CDI module. This was a factory wiring change circa 2001 and a service bulletin for 1996-2000 models. The wiring change is only needed if the red engine has a problem restarting after it has been running recently (less than five minutes ago).

This is driving me nuts.0 oms black stator wire. Also checked at box. Yellow wire to voltage reg 12.12 volts witch livened up Orange 12.97. bilge would not run on or or off. Mfi works,tachometer. Volts accurate to meter check. I also checked connectors. Red/purple short to orange? Or all bad regulators?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information