+1

Need help from FZR owners!!

Hi Everyone,

New to posting on these forums, but I've been a long time stalker stealing a wealth of information over the years.....I've finally decided to establish an account instead of being a voyeur from a distance....and yes, mainly because I need something...

So I'm in the market for some new PWCs, or at least new to me. I've been riding a Waveraider 760 for the last 11 years, and I've just accomplished everything you could possibly hope to on it. Sure it's a blast to tame the beast of a hull, but there's nothing new for me to achieve......one thing I do love about it, however, and the reason I've refrained from buying a new Yami, is that I love spinning the thing around like a merry-go-round having seizures.

I was pretty sure I was going to find a decent GP1300r out there, because I've been able to successfully whirl one of those around like a kid about to play Pin the Tail on the Donkey, but I'm a bit of an extremist and I'm just not sure it's going to give me all the thrills I seek, not to mention the fragility of the motor....I have over 1100 hours without a rebuild on my 760, and I just don't think I'd get that out of a 1300...

So my attention moved to the 2014 FZRs....here's a craft that excites me and it looks like it has tons of wild potential for me to harness, but.....will I be able to whip it around??? I know it would never be tantamount to my Waveraider, but I still need to go into a a self-made waterspout at 40mph. Plus it has all the reliability of a -4 stroke motor.

I ride on inland lakes, nothing excessively choppy, and would really have the opportunity to get a craft like this to its maximum potential.

Try as I might, searching videos like crazy, reading and watching reviews, etc, I just can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for, which is why I'm turning to the forums. Sadly, there's no demo dealers out by me, so I'd be shelling out $14k with no guarantees I'd be fulfilled with my purchase and no chance to try it before I buy it.

Help me out here, friends.....will this craft be everything I ever hoped for, and I'll be spinning around to my heart's delight??

+1
    Tons of potential but held back by a pos $40 timing chain that has failed on so many.

+1
    You're looking at the wrong craft if you want to "whip it around". The FZR is a HUGE craft compared to your Waveraider and isn't nearly as nimble. I would look at a Sea-Doo Spark for your application.

+1
    FZR will launch your ass off. Only way you'll be able the throw around a FZR is if you remove the sponsons. The ski is designed to turn not spin.

+1
    Thanks for the input, guys.......the 800lb weight was already a bit of a deterrent for me, and I wasn't aware of the timing chain issue. Sounds like as quick as it may be, it may not be isn't the right PWC for me..

A Spark I would have a hard time justifying - the Waveraider is still running strong despite perpetual constant abuse and I have a steady 150psi on each cylinder. I don't know what I would necessarily gain, other than 4-stroke cleanliness, from that purchase.

I found a 2008 GP1300r with 53 hours on it that I can pick up for a bargain, but the amount of hours is suspect after 7 years of life. Even if they're accurate, I'd be purchasing a ski that's been chronically underused, and I usually put on about 6 - 15 hours per week during our exceedingly short Ohio summers. However, I know I could get maniacal on the water with it, so it might just end up being the right machine for me, and it looks like aftermarket improvements are still prevalent for it. Still a competitive craft in today's environment?

+1
    I used to think exactly the same way as you loved to (throw around a little ski) but after riding an fzr especially in anything other than glass you will love it. just my .02 even the gpr platform is too unstable for me now in the rough, maybe a 2015 vxr/vxs with the ride system would be fun for you.

Thread Information