STX15f has been sitting for 8 years

My grandmother has a 2006 STX15f that has been sitting with all the fluids for 8 years. I asked her repeatedly to take it in and have it winterized but she never did. She finally let me take ownership of the vessel and I was wondering what I will need to do to get it running again; best and worst case scenario.

I know it will need a new battery and a full-tune up. Also, I checked the oil dipstick and it doesn't look like there is water in there. In fact, the oil looked relatively fresh. She only rode it about 50 hours total from the date she purchased it (I think she got it to feel young but was scared of the power and didn't want to admit to that).

Again, I just want to know what all you experts think. I will have to drive 10hrs to pick it up and 10hrs back. Would it be worth the drive in your opinions or do you think it sat too long? What are the best-case and realistic scenarios?

Thanks

+1
    Hell, yes it's worth the drive!

I'd recommend draining the fuel tank for sure. Ideally, you'd want to pull the engine, then pull the tank and flush it out. But I don't pull engines for fun. I've siphoned almost all the fuel out, then rolled up a towel and ran it down the filler neck (take the hose off) and swabbed out virtually all the fuel. I'd pull the fuel pump out and check it for crud. I'd be concerned about the injectors, but I'd probably try running it before messing with them. Wouldn't hurt to change the oil and filter.

For sure, check condition of all hoses and make sure the cables move freely. I'd run it easy for the first hour or so and stay close to the dock. Take a paddle with you (I always carry a collapsible paddle). Ride it with the seat off at first so you can check for leaks.

+1
    Was this ski stored where it could have been exposed to freezing temp in the winter? If so that could also have cracked some parts that water doesn't drain completely. I would remove spark plugs & squirt some oil in the cylinders then try to turn over by hand. Once you get it running I would hook the hose to the flush fitting & run it & looks for leaks before heading to the lake. Hopefully the fuel in the tank wasn't with ethanol, fuel pump may be full of rust then.

+1
    Pull the glove box out, and then pull the fuel pump assembly out. It will probably need a new fuel pump. One the fuel pump assembly is out, you can get your hand in the tank, and either siphon the fuel out, or wipe the varnish out. You might have to put some carb cleaner in the tank to cut the gunk out.

the fuel pump is easy to change, and you can cross it over to a generic pump so you don't have to buy the whole assembly from Kawasaki. After that and a battery, it will probably crank up and run.

+1
    I'd probably run some SeaFoam through it, too. Don't add too much!

Thread Information