No Display on dashboard of my Waverunner XLT 1200

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or experienced that same problem.. I have a 2003 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 1200 took it out yesterday to the ocean, Was running fine then was going along about 40mph next minute the display goes off and engine cuts out. Tried to start again starts then second later cuts out no Display again, try a third time and just says in faint letters START on display and I can hear a buzzing noise coming from inside the ski. Anyway after getting stranded in the middle of the ocean I managed to get it back on the trailer and home to write this forum post. Bought a new battery today still no electrics or anything on the display press start nothing comes up on the screen no crank either just dead as a dodo!

Any Help would be appreciated!

thanks

Same Problem with my '01

Hey buddy,
    I have the same problem with mine. A family member said it ran well on Saturday, but Sunday couldn't start and no dash display. Have you found out anything yet? Everything I've seen is either a solenoid, bad starter button, burnt fuse, or loose grounds. If I find out anything I will let you know. Please do the same. Good luck.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ChesterMarx View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or experienced that same problem.. I have a 2003 Yamaha Waverunner XLT 1200 took it out yesterday to the ocean, Was running fine then was going along about 40mph next minute the display goes off and engine cuts out. Tried to start again starts then second later cuts out no Display again, try a third time and just says in faint letters START on display and I can hear a buzzing noise coming from inside the ski. Anyway after getting stranded in the middle of the ocean I managed to get it back on the trailer and home to write this forum post. Bought a new battery today still no electrics or anything on the display press start nothing comes up on the screen no crank either just dead as a dodo!

Any Help would be appreciated!

thanks

Fuses would be a good place to start, but if you blew a fuse, the question is why did it blow. Don't replace a blown fuse w/ anything other than the same amperage that was blown (or rather check to make sure what really should be there, dunno what a previous owner did). I'd imagine you have some electrical connection issue though. I would buy a can of deoxit D100 and a tube of dielectric grease, unplug every connector under the front hatch (1 at a time), spray the deoxit on every contact in the connector, plug and unplug the connectors a couple times, then fill them w/ the dielectric grease. That'll clean off oxidation and prevent future oxidation. This won't fix connections that are badly corroded/rusted, those need to be replaced. Make sure you have a good clean, tight ground connection right at the starter and the battery (likewise, a good clean and tight +12V connection). Also make sure there is a good clean, tight connection between the engine's head and the starter cover (there should be a wire going between the 2). I also took apart my CDI box and cleaned all the corrosion and such in there, especially on all the grounds to the coils and everything else. Hopefully after all that you'll have run across what your problem is. You should get stuff on the display when you hit the start button. It might be good to take the start/stop/lanyard housing apart and clean that all up. Deoxit works good there too.

Thread Information