95 SL750 wont start

My 95 Sl750 has always ran great. Took her out first time this year ran great then somehow fried black wire to stator. Ran new ground wire from elec. box to motor and started so put her in the water and battery was dead. So pulled out exhaust and starter to check all wires for possible short and right where the wires go into the stator there was a 2" piece of the old ground wire that fried. I removed the wire and did ohms test. All is good. Reinstalled everything, replaced a few connectors in the elec. box with the good heat shrink ones , and go to start her and she trys to start but starts back firing through exhaust. Pulled plugs and they were last years and were wet fouled so went and got new ones and she started up pretty quick but not like she use to, something just didnt feel right. Went right to the lake and wouldnt run worth a you know so rode my bros a lil and went home. Pulled plugs and were wet, black and fouled. Put in some i had for back ups that were good and tried starting. But she wont start and she backfires through exhaust and aoaks plugs. Could she of sheared the flywheel key? The CDI is fine put it in my Bros and started right up. Any suggestions ?? Thanks for reading my story lol. Its riding time of the year need to be in the water not on the land.

+1
    Suppose it could have. Usually if you have compression, fuel and spark and she won't run, then it's firing at the wrong TIME. A sheared flywheel key can do this.

Ya, I dont know what else it could be. Just finished rebuilding carbs. They had never been cracked open since 1995...... there was some build up in, but like new now. Not gonna reinstall till I check the key. Now if I pull the tank can I get to it with out removing the motor? Sure hope so, dont really want to take drive out. Just put a almost new one in her last year. Thanks for your responce and if anyone one else has any suggestions i would love to hear em. Thanks GreenHulk...

Thread Information