+1

30amp electric inflator

http://www.airhead.com/watersports/p...sure-pump.html

Since many towables are too big to carry in my 150 Speedster while inflated, I've decided a 12volt inflator/deflator is the best way to go. I'm thinking of mounting this inflator inside the bilge with a direct connection (fused) to the guest switch. Does anyone here have any ideas or advice on proceeding with this?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Premix View Post
    http://www.airhead.com/watersports/p...sure-pump.html

Since many towables are too big to carry in my 150 Speedster while inflated, I've decided a 12volt inflator/deflator is the best way to go. I'm thinking of mounting this inflator inside the bilge with a direct connection (fused) to the guest switch. Does anyone here have any ideas or advice on proceeding with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by 12V High Pressure Pump
    AIRHEAD's 12 Volt Hi Pressure Air Pump w/ Pressure Release Valve produces 3 times the pressure of other 12 volt air pumps. Therefore it does a great job getting towables, boats and rafts nice and firm for peak performance. Adapters are provided for all popular valves. A removable pressure release valve limits the output to 1.4 psi, the perfect inflation pressure for towables. The 21" hose is heavy duty and reinforced with PVC coils.

This powerful pump draws too many amps to plug into a cigarette lighter style outlet. Hook it up to your car, truck or boat battery with the alligator clips connected to a 10 foot power cord. Volume is 410 liters/min. Maximum pressure is 2.5 psi. It draws 28 amps / 340 watts.
    Make sure the electrical system can cope with a 30 Amp current draw.

And make sure you wire it up using 30 amp capable (actually, more than 30 amp capacity) wiring, fuse and switchgear.

Mounting inside the bilge.
    If there were fuel fumes inside the bilge, would this electric motor be able to spark ignite the fumes? Or pump the fuel fumes into the inflatable toy?

+1
    I'd only use it with the engine off. I wonder if there's a way to make it so it can never be used with the engine running.

I've never smelled any fumes in my hull, but it's pretty simple to avoid pumping fumes; just duct the intake to outside too.

Engine running or not is irrelative to the vapors in the bilge.
    I recommend against having it in the bilge, as I doubt it will be intrinsically safe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrinsic_safety

But if you insist, at 30 amps, I'd be using it with the engine running, but if you want to make it only run when the engine is off, take a small relay and connect the coil between earth and ignition positive, then connect the coil of a 30A headlight relay via a switch to the NC and common contacts of the above mentioned relay, that way when the ignition is on, the NC contacts open and the the 30A relay cant turn on, ignition off, relay turns off, NC contacts close and 30 relay can close and pump can run.

Thread Information