+1

Unhappy Arr issue pulling out drive shaft

Well I knew something would go wrong.

I'm replacing the carbon seal and all the stuff around it so I just pulled the shaft. The problem is the bellow bearing was kind of stuck on the shaft and came out with it. Can I simply stick it back in and re-clamp it with a new clamp?

When it rains it pours, the plastic cap that's supposed to be at the end of the shaft must have stayed in the motor. Is there a trick to fishing it out?

sad face

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Well I knew something would go wrong.

I'm replacing the carbon seal and all the stuff around it so I just pulled the shaft. The problem is the bellow bearing was kind of stuck on the shaft and came out with it. Can I simply stick it back in and re-clamp it with a new clamp?

When it rains it pours, the plastic cap that's supposed to be at the end of the shaft must have stayed in the motor. Is there a trick to fishing it out?

sad face
    Hey, I know the feeling.
    Fortunately, what your experiencing is but a cloud passing over.
    Yes, put the bearing in the bellows and clamp it back.
    The rubber end cap in the motor isn't a concern either as long as it's intact.
    Once you put back the shaft it will still do it's job as if it was back on the shaft.

+1
    What is the purpose of that rear bearing? It can't be there for any kind of load handling, does it basically just act as an oil seal?

I think I see the end cap at the end of the "tunnel". So it's OK to insert the drive shaft back in if it's in there already? Can anyone else confirm, thanks.

+1
    There is a rubber 'bumper' that fits on the end of the driveshaft, and that slides into a plastic flange inside the crankshaft snout. That rubber bumper should fit on the nipple on the end of the driveshaft ... I would try to fish out the rubber piece if that stayed inside the motor, and/or buy a new one if it will not stay on the driveshaft.

That rear bearing in the rubber boot allows the driveshaft to spin and is an oil seal too. That bearing itself can separate a bit too ... try to press it back together and make sure it is fully seated together or it will leak oil.

IF the rubber boot is good inside, you can thoroughly clean it, clean the bearing, reinsert it and clamp it. Some guys like to put a little Ultra black on the clamping area of the bearing, insert it, let it dry for a day, then clamp it too. If you re-use it this way, definitely check it a few times after running the motor ... it will only leak when running, and often you may not notice it as the oil might get sucked out with a little bilge water by the siphon setup.

This is probably the most common oil leak area on our skis. What year is the ski and how many hours?

+1
    07 RXP with 240hrs, no oil leak ...will ultra black the bearing and re-clamp it, that is if I can find a narrow clamp somewhere locally this week. Regular 1/2 inch clamp won't work?

I'm pretty sure I see the rubber cap at the end of the driveshaft opening. I think it simply stayed wherever it slides into when shaft is inserted. I don't see any fragments of anything in there.

Thread Information