+1

5 port vs 6 port DI cylinder link needed

I was looking through SBT's website for the link that explains the 5 port vs 6 port difference on the cylinders of a DI engine. It was in the area of instructions for when you send in your core for a rebuild.

My understanding is that the 6 port is for the earlier version of the DI's that needed 91 octane. The 5 port is for 2002 and later. Those run 87 octane fuel. I believe that if you run 87 octane in a early version 6 port the engine will get hot and melt down a piston or ring. (this is because 87 burns hotter than 91 octane)

Can anyone find my link or confirm my thoughts on the 5 vs 6 port?

+1
    From SeaDoo TSB

The engines updated in 2002 were called the DI LE. However, some international MY 2002's
    produced did not have the new LE engine version in them. Refer to the 2002 Technical
    Update Book, Section 3: "What's New" (P/N 219 700 170) for this information and all the
    details concerning the differences between the two engines.
    Note that the 2003 blue book rebuilt part numbers are incorrect for cylinders and shortblocks.
    The correct numbers are:
    DI
    • Rebuilt cylinders: 421 000 570
    • Rebuilt shortblock: 421 000 572
    DI LE
    • Rebuilt cylinder: 421 000 205
    • Rebuilt shortblock: 421 000 416
    The main difference between these cylinders are:
    • DI cylinders have 6 ports, DI LE cylinders have 5 ports
    • the volumetric efficiency is increased and the fuel mapping is different on DI LE engines
    Interchanging cylinders would have an adverse effect in the way the engine performs.
    It is important to note that although the air injectors would both physically fit on either of the
    engines types; it is not a good idea to interchange them. The opening and closing times on
    the DI LE injectors are different because of their ability to react. The injecting mapping is
    different, and if used on DI engines they will run richer. This could foul plugs and could also
    cause non-compliance with the EPA.
    DI DI

+1
    Thanks so much Bluestram! Nice find!

This engine was running rich. I can swap out the cylinders now with a bit of confidence that this was the problem.

+1
    Here is some more info:

DI ENGINE REVIEWsdd2008-002-052

The 947 DI engine was first introduced in MY2000.The engine remained the same until MY2002 whenwe introduced the LE (Low Emissions) engine. Thisengine provided lower emissions, improved fueleconomy, better throttle response and met EPA2006 and CARB 2004 requirement. It also allowedthe use of 87 octane fuel.The Major differences were:– Improved cylinder combustion chamber design(new head)– 6 ports vs 5 ports cylinders– Different direct injectors.NOTE: There are also casting numbers stamped onthe outside of the cylinders to identify standard VSLE.STANDARD LE6 923 710 6 613 570Other parts that were not interchangeable were:– Pistons– The fuel rail and top clamps– MAP sensor and ECM– Jet Pump housing and pump support.

NOTE: Check the PARTS CATALOG if unsure of other parts.These parts can not be interchanged between engines. Depending on the incorrect part installed, severeengine damage may result, but also a just a performance drop may be experienced. Several aftermarketcompanies are offering engine components for DI's. If you have a performance issue with a DI and youhave done the basic troubleshooting, ensure that all the correct parts are installed on it. It must be notedthat not ALL MY 2002 DI models received the LE engine, some International RX DI's received the oldversion. The 2002 TECHNICAL UPDATE BOOK (P/N 219 700 170) which is still available today goes intomore details of all the changes that were made and what models received the LE engine.

Thread Information